Tuesday, April 18, 2006

"I'm the decider and I decide what's best"

The latest from our Chief Executive, speaking to reporters in the Rose Garden:
"I hear the voices and I read the front page and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider and I decide what's best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."

Now of course it's damn easy to get cheap yucks at the expense of a man with a garbled command of his native language. Hell, I just did. I'm the cheap yuckster and I cheap yuck best.

But, more importantly, look at the words he chose:

1. "I hear the voices."

We all have a grand old time cracking wise about Bush's personal relationship with the Lord (now that Tom Landry's moved on, of course). He claimed that none other than Jesus Christ was his favorite philosopher, because "he changed my heart."

Sometimes a cigar's just a cigar, and sometimes "voices" are just chirping handlers, or Laura talking in her sleep about how her heroes have always been cowboys. Or something like that.

Or maybe George talks nightly to the Master of the Universe. You decide.

2. "I read the front page"

Isn't he on record saying he never reads the newspapers? But Lying is the New Honesty with all the cool kids in DC this season. So let's just move on.

3. "I'm the decider and I decide what's best."

Well, if you say so, sir.

Listen closely. Every so often those who are in a position to do so will rub out the line separating "a leader answerable to the citizenry" from "a leader who determines the will of the citizenry."

No one stands up and says, "I'm the leader. Shut up and do as your told." No. Just go to war without formal declaration. Make up the reasons for the war. Make up a new reason as soon as the falsehood of the first reason is exposed. Say the economy's great. Say it again. Say it yet again (soon enough people will believe your words rather than their own experience). Threaten a new war. Exaggerate the threat the putative opponent poses: Nukes in 10 years, 5 years, tomorrow, what's the diff, they mean us harm.

After five years of this, that very same leader can stand up and say "I'm the decider and I decide what's best."

And no one finds anything strange about it.

* * *

I'll say it now, and I promise I'll say it many more times: If November 2006 passes without an historic loss for the status quo GOP, I fear for our Republic. With a quagmire in Iraq, the possibility of a new theater of war in Iran, and a teetering economy marked by debt, inflation, and monatary shenanigans, it's impossible to believe Bush and his allies on the Hill could maintain their power.

Yet, would it surprise you in the least of he stood proudly in front of the White House on a cold Wednesday morning in November speaking yet again of a mandate?

I think we need to elect folks to Congress who will vote to impeach Bush & Cheney for dishonesty and incompetence. To elect Senators who will vote to convict. Democrat, Republican, Independent, it doesn't matter.

When Caesar crossed the Rubicon, no one was there to turn him back. A few "Procedural Barricades" across the bridges over the Potomac sound good to me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Blog.

Good Luck!

Applesaucer

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy, here we go again. Your a friend so you know I'll read and be interested, congrats on the blog. Lots of luck.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike:

Great blog! Being the techno-failure I am, however, I've repeatedly failed to understand how to create a username and password, so I had to choose the easiest route, as 'anonymous'.

As to your comment, I've been discussing this issue with Dumas for some time and I am torn. You know, under the principle of civilian authority, he *is* the decider and he decides. Likewise, I am leery of any civilian authority, even an asshole like Bush, caving in to a retired generals' pronunciamiento.

As I said, I'd rather see him slap down those timorous generals who dared not speak their minds when they could and now hide behind their civilian status and pensions than have the generals establish the terms of engagement.

Even if I have to defend the present WH asshole collection.

It's a matter of general principle (pun intended!)

FWIW.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Anonymous (wink, wink)-

I didn't want to require passwords and other such bullshit for folks to post comments. Let me take my techno-moron ass and see if I can change that default.

If not, shouldn't be toooooo hard to register for a user name so you can post here, and receive full credit for you wisdom, no?

I'll create a new post informing "The World," if I figure ouit how to change this.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not so optimistic about November - "patriotism" and "stupidity" of citizenry have seen more than one empire and republic to their graves.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, you might find this interesting: http://www.barryeisler.com/blog.html

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home