Thursday, May 03, 2007

THINGS THAT MAKE ME GO "HMMMM," BUT SEEM TO MAKE THE PRESS GO "HO HUM"

Unless my memory fails me, didn't Jabba The Cheney cry bloody murder a couple months ago when Nancy Pelosi met with Bashar al-Assad, President of Syria? Hmmm.

Now, I'm neither here to defend Assad, nor to devote paeons to the Speaker. Normally speaking, I come to query the speaker, not to praise her.

(Hold your groans.)

But this little tidbit in today's news seems juuuuuuust a bit inconsistent with the Administration's position of a month ago:
"Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice will meet Syria's foreign minister Thursday in the first high-level talks between the two countries in years."
Hmmmm. Now I could take issue with the fact that by many definitions, the "Speaker of the House" is a higher level position that "Secretary of State." One's elected, the other appointed. Al Haig's views notwithstanding, one is two breaths from the White House, the other is not. One has enormous influence over national policy, the other only if she's having an affair with the President not so much.

Nor will I take issue with the fact that "President" of Syria seems to my brain to be a higher level position than "Foreign Minister" of Syria. But since it's 15 years since I earned my doctorate in "Syrian Political Hierarchy Studies" I won't leap in on that topic either.

Nah, what I'll stick to are these two simple observations:
1. Cheney Sucks.
2. The Press Sucks.
That's all.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

Maybe I should find solace in the fact that the Administration is taking cues in foreign policy from the Democrats. I can just hear the conversaitons in the Oval Office about waiting juuuuust long enough to go over there themselves so it didn't look like they're taking lead from the Speaker.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am counting down the days for the criminal enterprise currently in the White House. Security cameras took this photo at a recent cabinet meeting.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your conclusions 1. and 2., Mike, and with counting the days, Mort.

Even NPR didn't point out the inconsistency of administration's the Syria 'positions,'if they deserve to be called that.

Disappointing.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, you fail to understand the logic that is in play.

It's okay if you're a Republican. It's unpatriotic and bordering on treason if you're from the Democrat Party.

Now, if you just remember to always think this way, everything will always make sense.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Otto Man said...

That's an outstanding image, Mort.

11:10 AM  
Blogger George said...

Tthe comforting thing is Condi will still give the cold shoulder to Iran--I mean we have to hate somebody or we aren't doing our job as America.

12:45 PM  
Blogger DED said...

In all seriousness, I think that it's a case of: the executive branch is supposed to handle foreign policy, not Congress. Now as far as the administration doing an about face on who its willing to meet with, yeah, they're hypocrites. But we knew that already.

Good pic, Mort.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Mr Furious said...

Great pic.

Normally I'd defer to the Executive Branch handles foriegn affairs argument, but since all that means to this crew is pissing people off or bombing them, I had no problem with an actual adult (Pelosi) representing the country in that manner.

One has to wonder whether Rice would be having this meeting if Pelosi handn't had hers...

4:13 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Great pic, Mort.

Ded & Furious - Yeah, the legislature can't, and shouldn't, make foreign policy. But there's nothing wrong with a legislator meeting with a foreign dignitary. And Cheney knows that.

Of course it's all posturing & sabre-rattling. But the fact that press ignores that fact entirely in pointing out the details is "odd."

Especially considering it's liberal bias, and all.

{Ack. Can you pass me a glass of water, I seem to have some dust in my throat. Hmmm, can't stop coughing.}

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home