Wednesday, June 20, 2007

BLOOM ON THE RISE

So apparently my own mayor, Michael Bloomberg, is (a) leaving the Republican party and (b) possibly running for President in 2008.

Hmmm.

My thoughts: I don't despise him the way I did Il Duce Giuliani, but I'm not a fan. He projects a gentler version of Rudy's imperious, "I know better than you what's best for you" attitude, best exemplified by his unilateral ban on smoking in bars; he all-but invited the GOP to hold its national convention here in 2004, throwing hundreds of protesters into a makeshift jail on the floor of a bus garage on the Hudson river; he's generally continued & supported the "Turn Manhattan into a playground for the very rich" policies that Giuliani started through taxing, spending, & zoning policies; and he's actively facilitated NYC's Disney-fication, chain store-ization, and tourist-friendly annoy-the-fuck-out-of-Mike-eration.

Basically, screw Bloomberg.

But . . . and here's Hamlet's rub, I was born to be a fan of whomever wants to throw the proverbial wrench into a Presidential election.

(That was two hoary cliches in one sentence for all those counting at home. And hey, if you wanna add "hoary cliche" to the list, be my guest. I aim to please.)

Seriously, I love that sort of thing. I thought Perot was a Texas-sized jackass in a Rhode Island-sized package. But his run for office was fine by me. Third party candidates? Bring 'em on

So Bloomberg wants to switch out of the GOP? He already switched from being a lifelong Democrat into the Republican party so he could follow Rudy's template of being ostensibly tough-on-crime & friendly towards big business. It worked. Now he wants to switch back. Or out. Or whatever. So I'm supposed to wake up and notice that this friggin' billionaire who named his news service after himself is self-serving & egotistical? This should shock me?

Anyhow, I hope he runs, I hope he throws the whole election into utter chaos, I hope he makes an ass of himself on the national stage, I hope Hillary & Obama engage in name-calling and other idiocy, I hope the national Republican party splits in two based on differences in the religious arena. I don't care frankly. But if it helps even a little bit to get someone elected who's not part of the status quo, I'm all for it.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger DaveW said...

I know next to nothing about the guy. Just that he was a Dem and then was a Pub and now wants to run as an indy.

Who would he draw votes from? I sort of doubt he'd draw many Pub or con votes. Isn't he left of center?

Wonder if Nader will run this time.

I also continue to chew over the idea of a Hilly/Obama ticket. Hilly intends to win, and Dems intend to win this time. I'm just struggling with whether a ticket with a female and a black male is a leap voters would be willing to make, or if Hilly will even take a flier on it.

God knows who the Pubs will nominate, and I'm not even sure it matters this time around. The entire right side of the country appears to be ready to drive over a cliff over the immigration bill.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, let Bloomberg run. Let him screw the nation like Nader. Because the people who will vote for Bloomberg are going to be those people who might vote Dem this time because they don't want to GOPer. Thus setting the stage for Rudy or Mitt or Fred or Newt or Sam or Ron or Mr. Straight Talk to take the White House.

Sometimes, I just really hate New York.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mr Furious said...

I don't like it at all. Bloomberg is coming from the center, and that stands to hurt us more than them.

As I said elsewhere, I don't know a lot about him, I left NYC before he came into office, but I instinctively don't like billionaires who don't shoot straight. I'd've had a LOT more respect if Bloomberg left the GOP before the '04 or '06 elections as he was rumored to. At those times, he might have actually served the country and his city well.

Now he is doing what helps him, and positioning himself to fuck the country and the world for the sake of his own ego.

Fuck you, Mr. Mayor.

11:27 AM  
Blogger DED said...

Thought you might see things that way Mike.

4:07 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

I don't get why a guy like Bloomberg would do this.

Third party candidates are normally for a cause, see Perot, Nader, Wallace. What's Bloomberg's cause?

I admit I am woefully ignorant of the guy. Its an awfully expensive ego trip to take if that's all he's doing.

5:55 PM  
Blogger George said...

Bloomberg's cause? Party of one.

7:32 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

I'm reading that Nader is also considering a run, saying the election is shaping up as "another Tweedledum-Tweedledee election that offers little real choice to voters".

Welp. If the liberal/left of center side in this country wants to elect a Pub in '08 then this is about the only way it could happen.

Before 2004 I used to roll my eyes about people worrying about another 2000 type result. But 2004 was another squeaker, hinging on a hundred thousand votes in one state basically.

Since we apparently really are in an era of almost perfect split in this country guys like Nader or Bloomberg drawing 1-4% will be able to influence the outcome.

So far, every 'considering a third party run' type candidate I've read about is left of where the Pub nominee is going to be.

If 2008 rolls around and you have Bloomberg, Nader and say Chuck Hagel on ballot all over the country I'd say that bodes ill for Dems.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want the guy who will bring suffering on a massive scale.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mort,
You are the least likely to be disappointed.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Edwardo said...

Don't vote for any of them, it only encourages them. Truly the only thing good about being El Presidente de Los Estados Unidos is Aero Forza Uno. Sorry about the Italian, but I'm just not sure how to spell force in Spanish.

But seriously, I think, the real radical in the bunch is no third party maverick, but a member of the ghastly Republican claque (as opposed to the hideous Democratic claque), Ron Paul, who, gasp, wants to rid us of The Fetid, er Federal Reserve, a capital idea, (pun intended) if ever there was one. On the basis of that initiative alone, I'd consider voting twice for Representative Paul. Alas I don't live in Chicago where the motto is vote early and often, so once will be all that I can muster,

10:09 PM  
Blogger George said...

And since poor Mike is overworked and therefore underblogged, I will keep commenting on this post for him.

Since it's now officially summer, dont forget that "Hamlet's rub" is delicious on grilled pork chops.

11:02 AM  
Blogger DED said...

Ron Paul continues to garner press. I haven't read this article yet but I hope to over the weekend. He's a splinter in the bloated, hemorrhoid-laden, white ass of the GOP and I hope he digs in deep. :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

Ron Paul is my congressman, believe it or not.

He's a splinter in the bloated, hemorrhoid-laden, white ass of the GOP - yikes.

Paul is kind of a goof, but he's been a goof for a long time, and mostly harmless. He's a real libertarian and if you've ever sat and listened to a real libertarian talk for like 5 minutes or more you come to realize they're pretty crazy.

4:05 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

"Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal," Paul said.

He said that in 1992. He says even more outrageous crap if you want to read the article, like:

"We don't think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That's true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such."

Funny though, I showed that to my black, retired from NYC, ultra-liberal, dyed in the wool Dem neighbor a while back. He (the neighbor) agreed with him (Paul).

Actually he and I were just laughing about this subject (Paul's goofiness) a few minutes ago.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Since it's now officially summer, dont forget that "Hamlet's rub" is delicious on grilled pork chops.

Nice.

1:00 PM  
Blogger DED said...

He says even more outrageous crap if you want to read the article

Ouch. Did not know that about him, Dwilkers.

Paul is kind of a goof, but he's been a goof for a long time, and mostly harmless. He's a real libertarian and if you've ever sat and listened to a real libertarian talk for like 5 minutes or more you come to realize they're pretty crazy.

I think we could use some libertarian craziness for a while. I'm a moderate (some gov't is necessary). Considering what decades of big government have done, especially the last 7 years, I believe that LESS is better. I'm under no illusions that it'll happen, but I keep hoping people will wake up one day.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home