Tuesday, July 17, 2007

GOIN' TO ALABAMA WITH A NAPKIN ON MY KNEE

Back to Birmingham . . . Chapter III. So you know what that means.

My quest for Southern vittles continues. This time I did my own research, conducted my own due diligence. Dropped hints, asked questions. And hopefully I've found what I'm looking for. If all goes as planned, tonight's dinner will be in this 50 year-old truck-stop/family joint that serves its food mostly cafeteria style. I have no idea what this is, but Southerners among us should know: Meat & Three on the menu. Ten types of "meat" to choose from; lots of "vegetables" as sides.

And apparently mac & cheese qualifies as a veggie, so I think I'm in good hands. I can all but taste that country-fried steak with cream gravy in my belly as we speak. Good health and low cholesterol probably ain't up on the chalkboard for tonight's dinner.

(Oh yeah . . . as you'd expect, there is some work to do as well. Some. But who wants to hear about that, right? That's what the plane ride's for.)

Report forthcoming when I return.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

I see your labels include that there is a "pretty good beer selection at the hotel bar."

Color me intrigued...

8:17 AM  
Blogger DaveW said...

And apparently mac & cheese qualifies as a veggie, so I think I'm in good hands.

Heh.

BTW, I need a baseball post. I have a couple months of rants and 'I-knew-it-last-falls' I need to get out of my system. Dammit.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

stock up on the lipitor.
enjoy the eats!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken fried steak

mashed potatoes and gravy

fried okra

green beans

iced tea

That's about it. Nothing fancy.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the Hank Williams song said, "I'm so hungry I could cry."

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you've found your place.

A meat and three is exactly what you're looking for.

Enjoy! (and save room for dessert. May I recommend a cobbler or banana pudding?)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home