Tuesday, November 04, 2008

HERE WE GO

The last time I voted for a Democrat (or a GOPer for that matter) in a presidential election was 1992, when I pulled Slick Willy's lever. But other than that, I always vote Green or Libertarian in these things. Being a New Yorker admittedly makes that choice easier, but that's what I've done nonetheless. Not this year.

(And the fact that GOPer-masquerading-as-Libertarian Bob Barr and crazy Cynthia McKinney are the third party choices makes my decision easier than usual.)

I plan to vote third party in 2012 and every election after that. I plan to vote for zero Dems in every category except Prez today. I'll probably piss & moan about the resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave every day for the next four years no matter who wins. Hell, I could win and I'd bitch.

But in an hour or so, I'm voting for Obama. Put more clearly, in an hour or so, I'm voting against McCain, against Palin, against Bush & Cheney & Rove, against O'Reilly & Kristol & Van Susterin & Malkin. Against Robertson & Dobson. Against Scalia. Against the ghost of Ronald Reagan.

I'm voting against them. Fuck them. I want them out. I want them gone. I want those Neidermeyers, those Marmalards, those Wormers, those America-hating bastards out of my life, out of my face. At least for 4-8 years.

(And hey, as someone who's white, yet married to a yellow gal and hoping to spring a beige kid or two on the American landscape, I have a bit of a soft spot for the notion of the country's first brown President. Not reason enough, alone, to vote for him, but plenty of reason to smile at the possibility.)

But mostly I'll smile tonight if "they" lose tonight. Their loss is our win. Here's hoping for some good returns later.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I learn something new every day with this blog. For instance -- that yellow + white = beige. I thought it was just "light yellow."

Applesaucer

7:59 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

I'm a two-party-system hack. It's really only because, as a lobbyist, it's less shit I have to keep straight in my head.

I am a lobbyist because I have no other marketable skills.

At any rate, I hope that I can turn a critical eye to a President Obama when I need to. I hope I don't become an apologist for shitty policy, because then I would be just like...all those people you just listed.

10:09 AM  
Blogger George said...

First, who stole Mike and replaced him with Monica Lewinksy: I pulled Slick Willy's lever?

Second, there's an old joke about presidential candidates--would you rather be really disappointed or scared shitless? I know where I vote.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

light yellow

Not poetic enough

really disappointed or scared shitless

I opted for the former. Although I doubt I can be "disappointed" by Obama, since I have very little expectations.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too. I'd rather have half the pie than a turd cake.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, my brothers and sisters. I voted two weeks ago and while I don't expect it, I am hoping for a landslide.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

So . . . we're hoping for a light-brown, half pie landslide?

A small mudpie, perhaps?

Just no light yellow turdcakes. Or non-critical lobbyists?

1:18 PM  
Blogger John Royal said...

Let's just say that at the establishment for which I work, the people in charge are convinced that the world is about to end because the Repubs are about to lose.

I'm having to keep my mouth shut today. And probably tomorrow.

3:09 PM  
Blogger DED said...

Considering this "world" that has festered for the past 8 years, I welcome its end. Let's put it out of our misery already.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

at the establishment for which I work, the people in charge are convinced that the world is about to end because the Repubs are about to lose

No doubt. Between the Israelites (as it were) in NY, and the standard rootin-tootin Texans down by you, it's GOP central, ain't it.

I don't miss it.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Rickey's with you Mike: sometimes you just gotta define yourself by what you're opposed to. Here's to hoping for a little vindication this evening!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home