EXTREMELY BRIEF THOUGHTS ON AN EXTREMELY CRAPPY OSCAR BROADAST
1. Hugh Jackman??? Was every comedian in the Western Hemisphere busy? I thought he was awful.
2. I can't believe they managed to screw up the one thing that normally can't be screwed up: the "people who died this year" montage. It's like they couldn't decide whether to focus on Latifah or the screen showing the dead folks. So they sorta slid between the two options, half showing her and leaving the screens far enough in the background so you could barely read the graphics. Awful. They totally blew it with Ricardo Montalban and whoever was first.
You see, I can't even remember who it was, they messed it up so much.
3. The song and dance number for the three nominated songs? I couldn't even follow what was going on, what song was which. What the hell?
4. I liked the five presenters format for best actor, actress, etc.
Nice to see DeNiro and Shirley McLain and all those folks together. But what was up with the extemporaneous "talk to the nominees" thing? "Gee Mickey. Nice to see you got nominated. You've always been a great actor. Now tell me, what the hell happened to your face?"
5. Where was Jack? The Oscars without a close-up on Jack's maniacal grin & sunglasses ain't no fun.
6. Finally, I liked when the French dude ran on stage and balanced the Oscar on his nose. That may have been the highlight of the evening for me.