Monday, February 23, 2009

EXTREMELY BRIEF THOUGHTS ON AN EXTREMELY CRAPPY OSCAR BROADAST

The Depression comes to Hollywood, maybe? When Hyundai and JC Penney are the two main sponsors, you know it's bad. Anyhow, a couple thoughts:

1. Hugh Jackman??? Was every comedian in the Western Hemisphere busy? I thought he was awful.

2. I can't believe they managed to screw up the one thing that normally can't be screwed up: the "people who died this year" montage. It's like they couldn't decide whether to focus on Latifah or the screen showing the dead folks. So they sorta slid between the two options, half showing her and leaving the screens far enough in the background so you could barely read the graphics. Awful. They totally blew it with Ricardo Montalban and whoever was first.

You see, I can't even remember who it was, they messed it up so much.

3. The song and dance number for the three nominated songs? I couldn't even follow what was going on, what song was which. What the hell?

4. I liked the five presenters format for best actor, actress, etc.

In theory.

Nice to see DeNiro and Shirley McLain and all those folks together. But what was up with the extemporaneous "talk to the nominees" thing? "Gee Mickey. Nice to see you got nominated. You've always been a great actor. Now tell me, what the hell happened to your face?"

5. Where was Jack? The Oscars without a close-up on Jack's maniacal grin & sunglasses ain't no fun.

6. Finally, I liked when the French dude ran on stage and balanced the Oscar on his nose. That may have been the highlight of the evening for me.

That's it.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

It was an entirely predictable evening. A snoozer. The folks at the gathering we went to said of Jackman "he's...gooooooood" whereby the vocal inflection rose at the end like a question. Like you're trying to convince yourself that maybe he was. I wasn't convinced.

I am glad I am not the only one who though the dead people montage was filmed horribly. Maybe if I was there, it would have been great, but since like everyone who is not a Hollywood Insider I was at home, it sucked. The graphics were hard to make out on a hi-def tv. Sheesh.

No surprises this year.

My favorite line, from over at George's blog: And we weren't sure if it was Goldie Hawn's dress or face that didn't fit.

9:43 AM  
Blogger John Royal said...

Instead of putting Jennifer Aniston in a seat behing Sean Penn, they should have put her in a seat behind Brangelina. They should have made Sean Penn walk through a line of photogs to get to his Oscar. They should have told Angelina that the Slumdog kids were available for adoption. Mel Gibson's dad should have been there shouting out that the Holocaust was a lie while Kate Winslet was making her speech.

Those are just some of my suggestions for making it interesting.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

we weren't sure if it was Goldie Hawn's dress or face that didn't fit

"Aging gracefully" doesn't apply to Goldie.

I haven't yet finished the tally of expressions that don't apply to Sophia Loren. "Something you can show to your children without scarring them for life" will not make the cut.

told Angelina that the Slumdog kids were available for adoption.

Or at least the octuplets chick who's obsessed with Angelina.

Mel Gibson's dad should have been there shouting out that the Holocaust was a lie while Kate Winslet was making her speech.

I'd pay to see that. I'd pay more to see bouncers tossing Mel & his dad on their asses and giving him the business in the process.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Agi said...

Slumdog was the only Best Picture nominee that I had watched. It was a good film, but not deserving of "greatest of the year" tag. I was rooting for Dark Knight since that was my favorite of 2008 (having not seen much).

8:38 PM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Yeah, a lousy ceremony overall. Aussie showmen don't do it for Rickey.

Skip Slumdog, it really isn't all that great.

The Academy just picked it because a sleek low budget film seemed to be a more appropriate winner than a bloated studio pick in our current economic climate.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home