Monday, February 02, 2009

SUPER BRIEF THOUGHTS ON A SUPER SUPER BOWL

1. That Harrison pick-six was the key play in the game, no matter how exciting and clutch the last drive was. Instead of 10-10 or 14-10 'Zona, it was 17-7 Steelers at the half.

Amazing runback.

2. How the hell did the Steelers allow a 64-yard TD catch right up the gut while protecting a late lead? I know Fitzgerald is great, but that was a stunning mistake. Unless the idea of letting the Cards score quickly to leave time on the clock for a comeback was planned. Then it was brilliant.

Yeah, right.

3. Worst set of commercials I've ever seen. And not only were they bad, they were mean. How many times do you have to see a guy kicked in the nuts, or a woman get her clothes blown off in public (not that I object to that in theory), or a young employee tossed out of 3rd story window, or a fat lady thrown off a horse? How about the Teleflora commercial with dead flowers in a box and a nasty message? Jeez.

4. A re-make, or a sequal to Escape To Witch Mountain (and one of the very first FSMOTDOMYs, at that)? With The Rock? Is this really what we need?

5. The Troy Polamalu "re-make" of the Mean Joe Coke commercial? Oh my, that was an abomination. The original may have been too sappy, but I'll take it over that irony-drenched, pomo piece of shit from last night. Let today's kids have their iconic commercials to reminisce about some day.

Think of the children, goddamn it!

6. Two decent commercials: Alec Baldwin in the Hulu.com ad. Something about an evil plot to turn your brain to mush. Now that's the sort of pomo irony I can deal with.

And the Castrol ad, the one with "Innagoddadavida" playing in the background, and the guy making out with a chimp? I don't get it, but it was delightfully demented and bizarre, so I give it a thumbs-up.

7. Bruce's set was pretty solid. Although I thought his choice of "throw that hail mary by ya'" in the change of lyrics from baseball to football was a perfect 10 on the cheese-o-meter (though perhaps not as much as the going to Disney World comment). But before Warner fumbled on that last drive, as they got within range of the endzone and Larry Fitzgerald ready to leap 35 feet into the air, man I thought The Boss may have been prescient.

8. Overall, very exciting game, lots of fun.

9. But waaaaayyyyyyyyy too much influence by the refs. Too many penalties on too many key downs. Even the holding that gave the Cards the safety -- I mean, how do you throw the flag in that situation?

10. That's it. No rule there have to be 10 thoughts, is there?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Agi said...

Yes, 'twas a great game that was tarnished by too many penalties and lame commercials. I didn't need to see a guy punch a koala in the face five times. I'm with you on the Alec Baldwin commercial though, that was clever.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Alec Baldwin in the Hulu.com ad.

Definitely the best ad of the night. I might, however, be on the very edge of being a bit tired of Alec Baldwin's schtick. But it fit last night.

WAy too many personal fouls and big penalties called last night. I understand they're looking for a clean game, but let 'em play.

11:35 AM  
Blogger John Royal said...

I could deal with The Boss changing the lyrics to Glory Days. I could live with his supplementing the E Street Band with Conan O'Brien's backing band. I could live with the 20,000 person choir, but when he had the ref come out and flag him for taking too much time, well...I can only take so much.

2:37 PM  
Blogger lisahgolden said...

I like your tag - Bring on baseball!

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bring On Baseball"

For the first time in my life...I hate to say it...I don't miss baseball at all and am dreading its return...almost as much as I'm dreading college football's return.

Applesaucer

8:05 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

the very edge of being a bit tired of Alec Baldwin's schtick

I'm over the edge of be very tired. But yes, it worked in that ad.

I like your tag - Bring on baseball!

For the first time in my life...I don't miss baseball at all


Uh-uh! Disagreement.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Rickey said...

You mean to say you did not enjoy the refs doling out 80 yard penalties like skittles? Bruce was pretty decent, and Rickey was far too inebriated at that point to be insulted by the cheesiness.

8 days till pitchers & catchers...

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cursed Warner roundly for the interception and went directly to sleep.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Applesaucer needs to "get his priorities straight"

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Perhaps Applesaucer needs to "get his priorities straight"

Perhaps Sidney Crosby should stop being such a sissy boy, Anony-pussy.

Applesaucer

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home