SUPER BRIEF THOUGHTS ON A SUPER SUPER BOWL
2. How the hell did the Steelers allow a 64-yard TD catch right up the gut while protecting a late lead? I know Fitzgerald is great, but that was a stunning mistake. Unless the idea of letting the Cards score quickly to leave time on the clock for a comeback was planned. Then it was brilliant.
3. Worst set of commercials I've ever seen. And not only were they bad, they were mean. How many times do you have to see a guy kicked in the nuts, or a woman get her clothes blown off in public (not that I object to that in theory), or a young employee tossed out of 3rd story window, or a fat lady thrown off a horse? How about the Teleflora commercial with dead flowers in a box and a nasty message? Jeez.
4. A re-make, or a sequal to Escape To Witch Mountain (and one of the very first FSMOTDOMYs, at that)? With The Rock? Is this really what we need?
5. The Troy Polamalu "re-make" of the Mean Joe Coke commercial? Oh my, that was an abomination. The original may have been too sappy, but I'll take it over that irony-drenched, pomo piece of shit from last night. Let today's kids have their iconic commercials to reminisce about some day.
Think of the children, goddamn it!
6. Two decent commercials: Alec Baldwin in the Hulu.com ad. Something about an evil plot to turn your brain to mush. Now that's the sort of pomo irony I can deal with.
And the Castrol ad, the one with "Innagoddadavida" playing in the background, and the guy making out with a chimp? I don't get it, but it was delightfully demented and bizarre, so I give it a thumbs-up.
7. Bruce's set was pretty solid. Although I thought his choice of "throw that hail mary by ya'" in the change of lyrics from baseball to football was a perfect 10 on the cheese-o-meter (though perhaps not as much as the going to Disney World comment). But before Warner fumbled on that last drive, as they got within range of the endzone and Larry Fitzgerald ready to leap 35 feet into the air, man I thought The Boss may have been prescient.
8. Overall, very exciting game, lots of fun.
9. But waaaaayyyyyyyyy too much influence by the refs. Too many penalties on too many key downs. Even the holding that gave the Cards the safety -- I mean, how do you throw the flag in that situation?
10. That's it. No rule there have to be 10 thoughts, is there?
Labels: Bring On Baseball