Monday, May 01, 2006

A WEED GROWS IN QUEENS

Speaking of Springtime in Queens, for the two people that may actually care, I present the Weekly Gardening Report. Yes, you read that correctly. No, I'm not joking.

I swear, this isn't a joke. Look at my profile: you think "puttering around with dirt & weeds" was some sort of euphemism? I like gardening. So there.

Ok, so I spent large portions of the weekend doing just that -- digging weeds, laying down soil, digging holes. As May begins, Mike & Wife have a bunch of annuals, a few perennials, a little herb garden, and an overly ambitious vegetable garden taking shape. If one quarter of these things live, it'll be a rip-roaring success, believe me. Despite growing up in suburbia, the only gardening I did came on trips to MSG to watch the Rangers & Knicks. I didn't know a daffodil from an oak tree.

But since moving last year off that overpriced rock they call Manhattan, gardening has been one of the subtle pleasures I've come to appreciate. I like the whole process, I like the diligence required, and I like how it looks. I like working outside. And lemme tell you, the feeling of sipping a beer on our little back deck, basking in the setting sun, looking at the handiwork of a weekend's labors is priceless. It's relaxing and it's rewarding.

More of this in the weeks to come, including a progress report. Let the mocking begin! (I mean that -- if I don't see, let's say 3 or 4 derogatory remarks here, I'll know my friends aren't reading.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief, you are such a PANSY! (no pun intended)

Applesaucer

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

There we go!

One down, how many more? 3, 4?

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Mike. All you need to do to make the day complete is to chop wood, carry water. ;-) I don't rightly recall if I've ever planted a single plant in my life, even though Mom had a gorgeous flower garden every year. Good thing the SO grew up in a family where they grew a great deal of their own food--he says he'll teach me to garden when TSHTF.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home