Monday, June 05, 2006

A WEED GROWS IN QUEENS

Following last week's description of The 2006 Aphid Wars, I'm back with a short update. Folks left all variety of advice, ranging from importing ladybugs, to an official declaration of war against aphid nation. I began drafting the letter last week, and I'm nearly done (their language is quite unique, and the translation of "Listen, buggers, we're coming to get you," took me hours). Not sure exacly what the Fair Farmer of the Family did, but she seems to have gained a temporary advantage against the pests. Aphinator 1, Aphids 0.

For now.

Anyway, as any of you who follow exciting developments in national weather know, New York was drenched by stupendous amounts of rain this past week, so it was less than a full gardening weekend for us. Thus, not much else of note worth adding. Til next time . . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Weaseldog said...

I picked my first artichokes over the weekend! Woo! Hoo!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

How do they taste? I have to say, in general, the greens we've grown taste great. Can't wait to try the arugula, which is coming along nicely.

This the first time you grew artichokes?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Weaseldog said...

I have no idea how they taste. I gave them to my wife and she's... I don't know what she's doing with them. Hmm, Maybe I should ask her how they taste?

More heads will be ready to harvest this weekend. It looks like they a prolific.

Yup, this is the first time I've tried growing them.

I'm glad to hear that the aphids are losing. :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm guessing the aphids have a few comebacks in them yet.

I'd have to think, by the way, that neither tasting, nor inquiring about the taste of, your wife's artichokes falls short of the marital harmony route.

Weas, taste those darn 'chokes!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Weaseldog said...

The artichokes were delicious. :)

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home