Thursday, August 24, 2006

DO THEY SERVE CHICKEN TIKKA . . . OR SCHNITZEL?

From the "I'm Not Really Sure What To Make Of This" Files, we learn from BBC News that the owner of the Hitler's Cross Restaurant refuses to yield to pressure from Jewish groups in his native Mumbai, India, and will not change the name of his establishment.

No, not made up; real news story. Look:

According to the owner, Puneet Sabhlok, his "customers are not complaining about the name, they are very amused by it. Just like Hitler wanted to conquer the world, I want to conquer at least my area through the food served in my restaurant."

But wait, just wait! It gets worse.
Mr Sabhlok told reporters he wasn't "promoting Hitler in any manner," nor does he "have any pictures of the German Nazi leader or decor related to him."

But when questioned about the huge Hitler poster at the front door -- uhhh, that'd be this one:


. . . Mr Sabhlok insisted that "one of the 700 invitees who attended the opening" of the restaurant put it there, but he "pulled it off later."

He can name his restaurant whatever he wants so far as I'm concerned. But here's to wishing for a violent case of food poisoning for one of his non-complaining customers, followed by Sabhlok's ruin, bankruptcy, and rebirth as a snail.

Mazel Tov, Puneet.
-----------------------------------------------------
Update, 3:37 PM, EDT: Undoubtedly shaken to his very core upon hearing the news that yours' truly had joined the fray, AP reports that a chastened Puneet Sabhlok decided to change the name of his restaurant, as well as "
remove Hitler's name and the Nazi swastika from billboards and the menu."

Well ain't that swell.

Although Sabhlok has not yet decided on a new name, insiders tell us that among the leading candidates for the new moniker are: Pol's Pot Roast, Stalin Business Even Without The Old Name, Tutsi Rolls, & Mao's Masala.

9 Comments:

Blogger DED said...

I'll second that toast.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they have a special they should call it the curry flavored ptomaine chicken dinner. May they enjoy it twice.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering about the tandoori ovens, myself.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Otto Man said...

I'm wondering about the tandoori ovens, myself.

Mike, you beat me to the joke I dared not say.

I wish he'd keep the name and see what kind of foreign clientele he attracts. I'm sure some neo-Nazi shits would really make it a popular attraction.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you read some of his quotations from the two articles, it's hard to say whether the guy's a shameless marketer (in the Jackie Joanie Paisley Pushkin -- or whatever that chick's name is -- sense), or just really, really, really dumb.

Either way, I don't think any traditional "racism" motivated him. In fact, I can't think that a guy named Puneet would hit it off too well with Nazis.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Thrillhous said...

Tutsi Rolls, now that's funny!

Yeah, I'd guess the guy is a mixture of marketing savvy and historical ignorance. Hitler's probably an abstraction for him, like Vlad the impaler or Ghandi would be for us.

(I haven't had coffee yet, so my sarcasmomometer may not be up to speed; yes, I was joking about Ghandi. I loved him in that thing I saw him in.)

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vlad the impaler

Yes! It took 4 months, but I knew if I was patient enough, Vlad would make an appearence here.

Thrill, you win a severed head (with toothmarks in the neck). And if you're lucky, Puneet will cook it up for you in his newly re-named restaurant, Ivan The Teriyaki.

8:21 AM  
Blogger DED said...

What? No Khan's Hun House?

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No Khan's Hun House?

Puneet tried that one, but it didn't catch on. He's gonna go with Kublai Kabab instead.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home