Wednesday, November 01, 2006

TROUBLE IN PARADISE

BBC News reports that US and Australian officials fear rising tensions between the government and military in Fiji will lead to a coup.

I've got one question, and one question only: why the hell does Fiji need a military? Fiji has less than 900,000 people, and call me a cultural chauvinist if you must, but they ain't preventing anyone from taking them over regardless of what precentage of that fewer than 900,000 serves in the military.

I'll admit it's doubtful anyone wants to take them over, but that's sort of my point. When a nation of less-than-supreme strategic importance has a standing army, only two things ever happen: repression of the population or a coup. Often both in short succession.

Therefore, following mid-term elections next week, I'm turning my powerful blogging voice to a new cause: the immediate demilitarization of Fiji. My conscience won't let me do anything else.

(And despite waiting til next week, I'm accepting donations immediately.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

I think "Superfly Jimmy Snuka" is going to go there and put down the uprising in his homeland.
They need no military, they have the Superfly!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superfly!

My favorite from the early 80's WWF days.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

So long as the opposition doesn't have Roddy Piper with a bag of coconuts, he can wipe them out.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home