Thursday, July 19, 2007

A RARE AFTERNOON UPDATE

"What's this?" ask the three remaining readers of the most infrequently updated formally formerly (thanks Edgar) daily Blog in the whole 'sphere. Well, here's where it stands:

Some of you may have heard that an 83 year-old steam pipe burst yesterday, blowing a 30-foot wide hole in the middle of Lexington Avenue, causing a stampede of commuters from Grand Central Station, spewing asbestos-laden gunk hundreds of feet into the air, and reminding everyone in Manhattan of that dark morning of nearly six years ago.

My office is but one block from the site of the mishap. But I didn't hear, see, smell or feel a thing. I didn't.

(No taste either. Let's be serious, shall we? This is not a joking matter.)

Why was I gloriously oblivious to the whole shebang? Because I was on a plane from Birmingham to New York as the shit went down. Anyhoo, my office is in the "frozen zone," and even if it weren't, I'd be something less than likely today to take the city government's/ConEd's word that the air is totally safe. Uh-uh.

Math was never my favorite subject, but in my calculus, Absestos Shooting 700 Feet Up Through A Gaping Hole In The Street = Mike Stays Home.

(I'm funny that way.)

But the good news is, I can blog during the day! I can post! I can visit other blogs and comment! I can use exclamation points at the end of every sentence and not worry about how stupid it makes me look! Yeah, technically I'm working today, but you know how it is, being summertime and all.

The big question though: Tomorrow?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger DED said...

Math was never my favorite subject, but in my calculus, Absestos Shooting 700 Feet Up Through A Gaping Hole In The Street = Mike Stays Home.

My engineering background says that your math here is flawless.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, there are contractors, manufacturers and the whole NYC Public Works Dept. waiting for you to get back and sue them. And your ass is holed up in Brooklyn?

Remember a peckerwood eats from sun to sun, but the shyster, work is never done.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Brooklyn?

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you described walking across the Brooklyn Bridge for a transport strike or something. Maybe me my imagination.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ahhhh, yes. I waked across the 59th Street Bridge during the December '05 trasnit strike.

(Also known as the Queensboro Bridge -- connecting Manhattan & Queens.)

I suppose from 2000 miles away, all the outer boroughs are the same.

In fact, to about 97.4% of Manhattanites, they're the same.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Any excuse to stay home is a good one. ;-)

BTW,

Grammarian here:

...infrequently updated formally daily Blog in the whole 'sphere.

I think you mean formerly. I wouldn't point it out, except that it is so unMikelike. Clogged arteries to the brain? I told you to stay away from the red eye gravy. That stuff'll kill a person.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, I grew up in Lower Alabama. I thought anything east of Park was Brooklyn and anything west of Broadway was Jersey.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God! Mike, since I actually had a good idea that your workplace has to be close to that accident, I'm =mightily= relieved to know you weren't anywhere near that clusterfuck. I figured you'd post about it. Good job being hundreds of miles away! :-D Absolutely, don't go back until--well, I don't know. GO SEE SICKO before you go back to work!!!! Not kidding! Crystal says hi and is glad you're all right.

Hugs,
Donna

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come on, Mike. If they say it's safe, you know it's safe. It's not like they've lied about that before...

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the whole-air-is-safe-to-breath thing following 9/11. Maybe it's safer back in Birmingham.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home