Friday, September 15, 2006

THROW DIPLOMACY DOWN THE WELL

As you may have heard, comedian Sasha Baron Cohen, creator of Ali G, has caused a diplomatic row between Kazakhstan and . . . well, just about everyone with a sense of humor, an understanding of irony, and an appreciation for what does and does not matter in this modern world of ours. The Daily Mail reported Tuesday that a representative of the Kazakh government was scheduled to meet with George Bush in the Oval Office to discuss the implications of the broad insults of Kazakhstan leveled by Baron's "Borat" character.

If you've seen Da Ali G show, you know who Borat is. If you haven't, well remedy that. Now.

Anyhow, seems that Cohen's new film, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan, contains lines and images offensive to that delicate Kazakh sensibility. For example, according to the Daily Mail piece, "The opening scene . . . shows Borat lustily kissing his sister goodbye and setting off for America in a car pulled by a horse."

I'm there.

Cohen, speaking in character, actually responded to the Kazakh government's complaints by saying:
"In response to Mr. Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my Government's decision to sue this Jew. Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world. Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."
Seems clear to me that Borat, as well as the Kazakh diplomat, should be invited to the Oval Office for the meeting. Imagine the possibilities.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Furious said...

I have to say, I'm not the biggest Ali G fan out there, and I have no plans to see this movie, but certainlyt I shouild be allowed to see it. The Kazakh request to discuss this film with the President should have been met with, "Sorry. This is America, too fucking bad. When the Russian Ali G makes a movie, call up Putin, I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out."

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, I'm not the biggest Ali G fan out there

Well, of course not. That's because I already hold that title.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home