Friday, September 08, 2006

LADIES & GENTLEMEN, YOUR FIRST PLACE NEW YORK METS

The Mets keep rolling on. 35 games over .500. Magic Number down to 7. Season series taken from the Braves. I. Am. Loving. This.

Of course, unless they win 11 games in October -- not 10, not 9, but 11 -- the whole thing'll be moot in my eyes and I'll probably kill myself. But that's then, this is now, and all is good in Metsville at the moment. A few Random Thoughts, if I may, and you're all free to enjoy your weekend:

Oliver Perez: Joins John Maine & Alay Soler as the three Mets to toss complete game shutouts this year.

Yeah, that sentence is utterly preposterous. That's why I led off with it. And speaking of leading off . . .

Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose: Can't say it enough times. Just can't. I don't know what to say here. Despite being straight, despite being hitched for 7 years, despite knowing from experience that a spouse is the last thing I need any more of, I'm nonetheless gonna ask Reyes to marry me.

Any objections?

I mean, really. I assume by now you either saw his 3-run inside the park home run last night, and if you haven't, stop reading, get off this blog, and remedy that situation now. That may be one of the most scintillating, if not the most scintillating, things I've ever seen in a baseball game. As soon as the ball went over that sorry-ass excuse for a center fielder's head, I thought, "Triple, baby."

But then Gary started saying, "They may wave him home. He'll make it easily," or something like that. And sure enough, there was Reyes flying -- and I mean flying -- around third, sliding headfirst just to piss Willie off, as the crowd went bonkers. Bonkers!

You watch the replay, and the way he turned on the jets just before he hit second base was phenomenal.

Oh, and for those of you scoring at home: 301/353/499 with 113 R & 74 RBI through the Mets first 139 games. The countdown: 3 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 2 HRs, 5 BBs & 4 SBs to reach 30/20/20/50/60 in those five categories.

The Beltranator: 3 runs more than Reyes has. In 6 fewer games. 142 fewer plate appearences. Just saying.

Shawn Green: Still Jewish. And yeah, I like that. Can't help it. Sue me (but remember, like every Jew not named Shawn Green, I'm a lawyer, so at your own trepidation, please).

Said By No One On The Mets, As Of Yet: "No one gives us any respect. No one gives us a chance." This would be a first in the modern sports era. Still time for this one.

Uncle Cliffy: Not sure what to say here. Not looking good for him.

Mota, Heilman, Wagner: I'm not actually gonna say it. I don't wanna jinx us, or anything. But you know what I'm talking about. This could be the key next month.

Shhhhhhh. I said nothing. You read nothing. Never heard it, got it?

Magic Number: 7

Heh, heh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thrillhous said...

Reyes is really something. I remember seeing a lot of him during the yanks-mets series early in the year. incredible speed.

Not only are the Mets high, the Braves are low. Doesn't get any better in the NL.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they make you feel as giddy as a 12 year old!

Whattaya mean giddy as a 12 year-old? I am 12.

You thought I was, like, a grown-up? Ha! That's funny. You probably think I'm, like, an earthling too.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home