Wednesday, September 06, 2006

WHEN THE CHICKENS COME HOME TO DAVEN

In the latest update from the "My Fear Trumps Your Rights, Canadian Version" Files, CBC News reports that an Hasidic Jewish man was asked to leave an Air Canada flight from Montreal-to-New York last Friday. His crime? According to witnesses and airline spokespeople:
A flight attendant approached the man and told him his praying was making other passengers nervous.
The list of scary passengers grows: Muslims, Iraqi-American men wearing t-shirts with Arabic lettering, Hasidic Jews in prayer, dynamite-carrying frat boys.

(Wait, my bad. The "TNT Kid" didn't get into trouble til after the plane landed.)

Do I hear a bid for excessively tall, blond Mormons with shiny teeth from Provo? Black people praising Jesus a bit too loudly? Pregnant women speaking Mexican? Crying, bratty children? I'm sure they all frighten someone.

I know I'm absolutely terrified when I see a really fat guy come onto the plane. I mean, what if I have to sit next to him for 5 hours? Can I just tell the flight attendant I'm scared, and ask that he be removed? When and where does this end?

Or does it?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am strongly in favor of passengers with bratty, screaming children being tarred as potential terrorists forEVER. Those kids terrorize the hell out of my flying experience, which is already pretty crappy.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just inform your friendly flight attendant. Hell, tell her one of the kids is wearing a t-shirt with "very scary" food stains in the shape of Saddam's moustache, and she'll remove the whole family.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got to tell you that someone praying before the plane takes off would worry me if all major religions were not represented. Get a minister, an imam, a monk, a sherpa, a hippie, a druid and a leprechaun praying on the plane.

What gets my trigger is people don't know what a Hasidic Jew looks like? They all dress alike. It's the same thing with Sikhs and Mennonites. Hate to curse on your blog, but fuck people get a fucking clue and learn about the different cultures which make up this melting pot.

Don't have to do anything, but educate yourself. How scary is a Hasidic Jew?

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How scary is a Hasidic Jew?

Well, as a member of their tribe (but the wrong part of the tribe), I can tell you: Rretty Damn Scary.

But no danger to the plane.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Otto Man said...

I like the idea of telling them you're scared of fat men. I was on a flight to LA a month ago, and managed to score and aisle seat in an exit row.

And then this Russian couple came to occupy the two seats next to me. The woman was 5'2", 98 lbs., and the man was 6'4" and pushing 300. Of course, the Russian Bear took the center seat, so he could protect his wife from me.

In retrospect, I should've just told the stewardess he was a Chechen rebel.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to see them running around Brooklyn and the Diamond District all the time. I am not concerned with, just like you, with a plane full of them. In my limited experience with them they seemed to keep to themselves.

Are you saying they are scary because of their Orthodoxy (is that even a word?)?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Otto-

She wouldn't have known what Chechen rebel was. Gotta keep it simple: Terrorist. Just tell her the guy was mumbling in a language that might've sounded like it could've been something a little bit like Arabic.

Guy would've been off the plane in seconds.

And then you could've had the 98 pounder to yourself.

NYHMR-

Their orthodoxy is scary, but no more than any other groups'. What can be scary is the way they think of Jews like me as "bad Jews," because we assimilate into mainstream society.

And in that, you're right: they do keep to themselves. They'd have to mingle with the goyim to bring that plane down.

Not happening.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home