Wednesday, November 15, 2006

CRANKY CURMUGEON ALERT #23

AP reports that Florence Rideout Elementary School in New Hampshire has decided to ban students from playing with "electronic games and gadgets" during recess.

Good.

Among reasons given for the decision: "the games are a distraction"; they "can lead to fights"; and "theft . . . since elementary students can't lock their lockers." I'm not sure I follow that last part entirely, but who am I to question it? Anyway, my favorite passage from the article is this:
Principal Edmund Heffernan said the problem has increased in the last year and a half and involves a small group of older students who "don't like to run around."
That's right! It's always the "older" kids sitting around, setting bad examples for the innocent & active youth. As opposed to, let's say, their parents, who never sit on their asses staring at an electronic screen, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger George said...

I say let all the kids blog during recess. Transform all that kid energy into snark.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids shouldn't be snarky. They should be happy, sincere and earnest.

They'll have plenty of time for sarcasm, snark, cynicism and skepticism as they age.

Unless they're already too far gone. Then, yes, they should have an outlet.

2:00 PM  
Blogger George said...

Guess I just proved why I'm not having kids.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, and I guess I'm proving why I'm not as opposed to having them as I used to be.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

Even w/o the games, there will still be those who don't run around. They will just congregate and chat.
The games should be banned, there is no good reason to have them in school. Actually, it is the parents who should ban them from being taken out of the house.
Man, I long for the days of flipping baseball cards. Good times, good times.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even baseball cards didn't do it for me at recess. I pretty much wanted to run around like a maniac at recess: football, kill the carrier (if the recess ladies didn't make us stop), dodgeball, snowball fights during winter.

As long as it was physical, and had the chance for violence at any time, I was down with it. And mind you, I was a small kid.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home