Tuesday, March 20, 2007

WHEN THE BLIND LEAD THE STUPID

Now, if I'm Alberto Gonzales (and thank god I'm not), nothing gives me a bigger dose of job anxiety than this, as reported by A.P.:
President Bush sent a powerful message of support Tuesday for embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, calling his longtime friend to express unwavering support in the face of calls for his resignation. The White House also denied reports that it was looking for possible successors for Gonzales. "Those rumors are untrue," White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said. Bush called Gonzales from the Oval Office at 7:15 a.m. . . . The White House disclosed Bush's call to bolster Gonzales and attempt to rally Republicans to support him. "The president reaffirmed his strong backing of the attorney general and his support for him," Perino said. "The president called him to reaffirm his support."
He's doomed. When the "Truth is a Luxury I Can't Afford" Squad gives you the thumbs-up, the thumb in the eye can be, at best, moments away.

I give him til the end of the week.

And, embedded in this story, we get words of wisdom from none other than Tommy "The Hammer" DeLay:
"[this scandal] is just a taste of what's going to be like for the next two years. And the Bush administration sort of showed their weakness when they got rid of Don Rumsfeld . . . . This is a made up scandal. There is no evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever . . . . They ought to be fighting back."
Gee, thanks Tom. No sarcasm, I'm serious. The Tone-Deaf leading the Tone-Deaf can only bring further wrack & ruin to this corrupted disgrace of an Administration. And with the afraid-of-a-fight Dems rattling sabres, but never raising them in anger, we'll need an historic parade of horrors from the White House before they do anything meaningful.

So let's just hope that Bush, Cheney, Rove, Gonzales & Rove lead the bison to the edge of the cliff where even a pathetic tribe like the Congressional Dems can force them over.

Meanwhile -- in case you're playing along at home -- the Debacle in the Desert reaches Year 5; the death count heads towards 3,500; 30,000 new troops in-country since the new year; and a housing market that implodes a little more every day.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Thrillhous said...

Well said all around, tho I think with the '08 elections on people's minds, the dems will be a little more aggressive. I've been pretty encouraged by their behavior the last month or so, especially guys like Henry Waxman and Pat Leahy.

Definitely bad for Gonzo that he's getting the "heckuva job" treatment. Kiss of death. I also agree with your end of the week prediction. I'll peg it at Friday, 6:15 pm.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Otto Man said...

I think this is evidence that Bush really is from Bizarro World. He says "you're doing a good job" when he means "you suck at this," and it's only a matter of time before he greets people with "Goodbye!"

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gonzo, heh, that's funny thrillhous. As in "already gonzo"? He has the same support from Bush that Rummy got, until he doesn't, that is.

12:43 PM  
Blogger George said...

Bush never got over being a baseball team owner. Any time a manager gets the seal of approval, he's a goner.

Alas, screwing up the Texas Rangers is one thing, fucking over the country, and the world while he's at it, quite another.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

with the '08 elections on people's minds, the dems will be a little more aggressive.

I agree. But that cynical, eye-on-the-election aggression isn't calculated to bring change, but to gain poll numbers. Doesn't do any real good.

I've been pretty encouraged by their behavior the last month or so, especially guys like Henry Waxman and Pat Leahy.

Yes! Those types, not looking to move up politically, or in safe seats, have been swingingt their fists. I like it.

Bush really is from Bizarro World.

Bush is Bizarro World. We're all just stuck in his gravitational field.

"already gonzo"

I like it. As much fun as it is to call him "Gonzo," without modifier, the comparison to Hunter S. Thompson makes me wanna wretch.

Any time a manager gets the seal of approval, he's a goner.

This is true. After a while, any time they heard Steinbrenner say, "Billy Martin will be the manager of the Yankees next season," you know that Yogi, Stick
k Michaels or Bob Lemon started loosening up.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Melissa McEwan said...

He's doomed.

Let it be as you say, sir.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh, if only I had such power. If only!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Noah said...

I know it was you, Gonzo. You broke my heart! YOU BROKE MY HEART!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I know it was you, Gonzo. You broke my heart! YOU BROKE MY HEART!

Does this mean I have to watch you kiss him?

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean I have to watch you kiss him?

Sure, why not? What, are you a Fredo? Bwahaha!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh. My. God.

That's a 5-groaner, Mort. I kneel in respect & awe.

5:41 PM  
Blogger George said...

Damn. Mort's pun was so bad/good I have to hang up my commenting and devote the rest of my days to a single-entendre life....

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home