Thursday, July 19, 2007

BIRMINGHAM FOOD REPORT, AKA SOUTHERN VITTLES IN MY BELLY

It wasn't exactly what I hoped for, but it was pretty damn close. We went to a cafeteria-style joint and loaded up. They ran out of whatever beef and/or pork was available earlier, but they had some fried veal thing (which I refuse to call "veal cutlet," cause that ain't sufficiently Southern sounding). Excellent. Smothered in brown gravy too. Mmmmm.

That was the "meat," and for my "three" I chose fried okra (wow), turnip greens (delish; I think there may have been a 400 pound pig swimming in the grease at the bottom of the little dish), and fried green tomatoes. Ohhhh, yeah.

I'd never had fried green tomatoes before and they were damn good. The food was all rib-stickingly fine, and I'm proud to report I stuffed my face, but good.

I also had corn muffins and some pecan pie for dessert. The Coors Light served in the can really finished things off. Much as I hate that watery swill, I really wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr Furious said...

I had fried green tomatoes somewhere (I don't remember where) and they ARE good. And I'm not a big tomato guy.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm not a big tomato guy.

Yeah, me either. More of a legs & ass guy myself.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People of my parent's generation swear by butter milk, but their's would have been home made.A glass of ice cold skim works well for me.

I'm curious. Were you in B'ham proper or one of the burbs? Which?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

B'ham proper. Stayed at the historic Tuttweiler, right across the street from Linn Park. And the offices of our local folks is just down 20th St (Ave?) to just over the tracks on the south side.

4:52 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

I'm not much for fried green tomatoes. That is pretty much a southern style meal you're describing though. Glad you liked it.

I don't get to eat like that very often nowadays - being on the downhill side of 45-50 has put me in a health/weight category I thought I'd never see. I have to choose very carefully when I do it now, and when I do it I go ahead and go...um...whole hog. So to speak.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Tuttweiler. Mrs.wfta and I spent the final night of a driving vacation there ten years ago. Great bargain on a suite with breakfast.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious and authentic.

Though I would've opted for sweet tea instead of the weak beer.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home