Wednesday, August 16, 2006

BRING THE CANNOLIS

As you may have read, actor Bruno Kirby died yesterday, at the way-too young age of 57. If you don't know the name, you'll recognize him up front in the Donnie Brasco picture at left. He's most famous for playing Billy Crystal's buddy in When Harry Met Sally and City Slickers. As an often-working character actor and a probable member of Bill Simmons's "That Guy" Club, you've probably seen him in many movies.

But the role I remember most is that of young Clemenza, from the flashback scenes in Godfather II. It was this younger version of Clemenza -- the heavy, cannoli-bringing capo in the Corleone family in the first film -- who first brought Vito, played by DeNiro, into The Life. The actor who played the older Clemenza, Richard Castellano, also died young, at 55.

So why am I writing this? I'm not a Bruno Kirby "fan." I dunno. I guess I'm a bit affected when someone this young dies. Especially when he played a small, but important, role in a seminal film. Always feels like I've lost someone I knew. Ciao, Bruno.

5 Comments:

Blogger Otto Man said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one with a sweet spot for the lug.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quick blast through the blogosphere shows that we're not alone either.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Otto Man said...

Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by that.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was "take the cannolis" -- "leave the gun, take the cannolis."

too picky? Is is one of the best lines ever, it should be repeated correctly, I think.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'oh!

Karen, you're among Males of the Geek variety here (homo sapiens geekus). There's no such concept as "too picky" when it comes to that anti-social disease known as "Movie Quoting."

Sheesh. I'm embarrassed. Straight from the pages of IMDB:

"[to his associate, who has killed Paulie in the car]
Clemenza: Leave the gun.
[pause]
Clemenza: Take the cannolis."

Karen, I stand corrected, chasted, embarrassed, and . . . did I say embarrassed?

The funny thing is I went to IMDB this morning to make sure I had the quotation correct, and I still screwed it up. As always, the lesson to take away from this debacle: Coffee then post.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home