Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A STROLL THROUGH THE NABE

Not a lot of time this morning, so I'll just give you some thoughts, some links, some a' this, and some a' that.

1. From the "Hmmmm, That's Sorta' Weird" Files, I offer this little nugget, from A.P., about Manny Ramirez:
"the Red Sox quirky slugger with the $160 million contract is selling on eBay a JENN-AIR grill he said he bought for about $4,000."
The bidding, for the grill as well as an autographed baseball:
"was up to $20,201 and climbing"
Manny Ramirez has clearly entered what Bill Simmons called "The Tyson Zone," where nothing someone does surprises you. Manny, unlike Tyson & others, is harmless, but that doesn't change the fact that he is predictably bizarre. Which of the following sounds more unlikely:
a. Britney shaves her pubic hair on pay-per-view
b. Manny Ramirez sells a grill on e-Bay for a 500% profit
c. Angelina Jolie adopts the entire nation of Malawi
d. Dick Cheney eats Nancy Pelosi's German shorthaired pointer in two bites.
They all sound equally (un)likely.

2. My gym ("health club," is that the correct term?) plays a surprisingly decent variety of music. In two years I've heard a live version of The Pixies covering The Jesus & Mary Chain's "Head On"; The Arctic Monkeys "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" before it got popular; White Stripes; "classic" R.E.M., you get the gist. Sure, they play too much Gwen Stefani & Sheryl Crow, but since those chicks are poster-children for working out, I can understand it.

But lately they've gone too far. Every fucking time I'm there for the last month or so, they play this crapulent song, "Does The DJ Know What He's Doing To Me?" by a nightmare-inducing warbler named Alison Ray. For point of comparison, she's more annoying than Rachael Ray, if you can imagine such a thing. If you haven't heard this monstrosity, do yourself a favor and do not track it down. It'll stick in your head, and you'll be fucked for life. Don't.

And if you've already heard it, you know what I mean, and you're already fucked. So follow the link, look her up, do whatever you want to further destroy any hope of future happiness. I will hereby make it my life's mission to destroy Alison Ray's musical career. Who's with me?

Does the music selector at my gym know what he's doing to me?

3. From The Disgruntled Chemist, here's a good (and funny) bit on CNN, Intelligent Design Theory, bad reporting, and the ever-famous Masters degree in "science."

4. Finally, I'm sure everyone's aware that our fearless President decided yesterday to throw a bit of a tantrum on national TV (from Josh Marshall), as he dissembled, shambled, grimaced & grunted about Gonzales, Congression subpoenas, executive privilege power, and presidential "precedent."

Anyhow, I love Toast's take on things over at Two Glasses. Check the whole post out (it's quite short), but here's a little taste:
From the Florida recount forward, this administration has brought us to the brink of one "Constitutional Crisis" after another, and every time we have been denied that moment of reckoning . . . I want that reckoning. I want it for all the respectable reasons. It is vital to the health of the United States that this reckless, arrogant vision of a "unitary" executive be officially repudiated, restoring the White House to its intended position as one among three co-equal branches of government. It is an essential point of principle that we demonstrate to the world that we are, still, a nation of laws and not men. It is imperative that we set an example for future would-be domestic tyrants so that they will understand that they hold office at our pleasure, and that we can and will hold them personally accountable for their actions. But there's also something more, something perhaps not altogether wholesome, something personal that feeds this longing for a climactic confrontation: I want to see George Bush and Dick Cheney broken. Not in the sense of "harmed" or "destroyed" but in the sense of brought to heel. I want to see them forced, wholly against their wills, to Do What They Are Fucking Told.
Brought. To. Heel. Hell yeah.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Dubya can lead us to a Constitional crisis all that he wants, but be careful what you ask for. If I remember correctly, Mr. Justice Alito is one of the architects of the unitary Executive theory, and I'm pretty sure that he can bag the 4 votes that he needs to back Bush.

10:32 AM  
Blogger DaveW said...

For point of comparison, she's more annoying than Rachael Ray,

I call bullshit. That isn't possible.

10:41 AM  
Blogger L P said...

I'm alright with Rachael Ray, but that's neither here nor there.

The point of this comment is that, as someone who maintains complete control of the music selection where I work, I try to put on a good mix of stuff. You will never hear any such schlock as Alison Ray.

By the way that grill isn't even Manny's. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/03/manny_speaks.html

He's out of his mind though, that's for damn sure.

I love when he says he'll speak to the media 'when he retires.'

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Man Ram. I love his stunts. I love his personality. I love the that's Manny being Manny. I love how he can just fall out of bed and get a base hit.

I've got to agree with dwkilers on the Rachel Ray comparison. And I like Sheryl Crow, though I think her early-90s stuff is better than the new stuff.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm pretty sure that he can bag the 4 votes that he needs to back Bush

As always, Kennedy is the key. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think he swings with us on an Executive Privilege case.

she's more annoying than Rachael Ray,

I call bullshit. That isn't possible


Ohhhhhhh, yes it is. I hate to say it, but you challenged me: listen to the song.

Lou & John - Regarding Manny, let me just say I fuckin love him. (Yeah, I'm just as goofy and eccentric with my man-crushes as with the ladies who've had the (mis)fortune to come into my life).

I love his awesome hitting, I love his consistency, I love his "creative" fielding & baserunning, and I love his quirky (read: insane) personality.

My all-time "fun" outfield, which also works very well from a talent perspective, is Manny, Rickey, and Ty Cobb. Imagine the possibilities.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Agi said...

I stopped going to gyms in the late 90s because all they played was rancid poppy techno on repeat.

Rachel Ray ain't that bad. I can tolerate her Food Network travel show where she eats on $20 per meal, or something like that. But she does seem like a Martha Stewart wannabe. She is selling her own line of olive oil - saw it at the store the other day.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I have to call bullshit on this whole "Rachael Ray ain;t too bad" thing. Yes, she is that bad.

And I'll fight to the death with any man who says otherwise!

She is selling her own line of olive oil - saw it at the store the other day.

Does she call it RREVOO? Ugh, I hate her.

12:55 PM  
Blogger George said...

Love Manny--hits, hits, hits and entertains. What more could one want?

Not sure if Ty "The Georgia [White] Peach" Cobb would dig Manny and Rickey, alas.

Don't know Alison Ray, so will do mt best to avoid her and her warble. If she's worse than Rachael, that's damn bad. (I mean, she does food on $40 a day because she doesn't tip, the cheapskate!)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ahhhhh, that's it. The Peach's racism would add yet another volitile mix to that trio. That's the fun. Manny'd be Manny, Ty'd pull a gun on him, Rickey'd break it up by talking them down . . . in the third person.

Plus snatch catches, sharpened spikes, guys cutting off the other outfielder's throws. Fun galore.

Plus, with those three as your 1-2-3 hitters, a solid clean-up guy would drive in 200 runs. Manny alone could drive in an easy 175 from the 3 hole.

1:36 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

OK, I went and caught her on YouTube and I admit she's very, very annoying. So annoying I quickly turned it off.

This is one of those things that's very subjective, but I still think she's less annoying than Rachel (YUUUUMMMMM!) Ray, probably because I am so (proudly) out of touch with pop culture I've never seen her before, meaning she hasn't had a chance to really get me grinding my teeth.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dwilkers, you're a masochist.

(Then again, since you know others are gonna try that rancid shit as if they were passing the spoiled milk carton, perhaps you're a sadist too.)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home