Monday, June 23, 2008

TAKING OFF . . .

. . . to the Great White North.

And based on the demographic breakdown of Nova Scotia (Ancient Algonquin for Whole Lotta' Caucasians), Geddy might as well have been shrieking about more than the snow-covered landscapes. According to the Wikipedia entry for Nova Scotia under "demographics," we learn that the province's ethnic breakdown is as follows:
Scottish: 29.3%
English: 28.1%
Irish: 19.9%
French: 16.7%
German: 10.0%
Dutch: 3.9%
Welsh: 1.4%
Italian: 1.3%
Now look closely at those numbers. I know you may not have a calculator handly, but shit, that's what I'm here for. Those numbers -- the tally of caucasoid European-descendants -- add up to 110.6%.

You might say that number represents Wikipedia's accuracy. And you could be right. But I would posit, those numbers represent just how goddamn white Nova Scotia must be. When they discover a Jew & his Asian wife on their pristine island, they're gonna tie my ass to a seagull and fly me back to NY.

Anyhow, enough about the demographics of Canada's maritime provinces. All I know is I'm planning on doing pretty much nothing for a week. Relaxation and little more.

Maybe I'll have some good stories to tell, more likely I won't. But I won't have anything to say for the next week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
And with an indirect H/T to Deb, she of The Good, The Bad, The Ugly . . . . The Mets, I realize that its un-semitism notwithstanding, the province is actually named after a variety of smoked salmon commonly found on the tables of Jesus-killing shylocks like me.

Life: so full of contradictions.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Perhaps one needs to take mixed ancestry into account there with the numbers, Mikey, lol.

Have a good time; don't ask for lox or gefilte fish or say oy ve while you're there, and you should be fine.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

don't ask for lox

Ahhhhhhh, but therein lies the problem! It's NOVA fuckin Scotia. In other words, the goddamn place is named after lox.

This one is gonna be interesting.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Is it really named after lox, or is lox named after Nova Scotia? Check this out: http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/provinces/g/novascotia.htm.

Look, let's just err on the side of caution: if you're going to ask for lox, make sure you ask for Nova Scotia lox. That way, everything should be just fine and dandy!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new boss and his family are in N.S. this week. Say hi if you see them.

Oh, wait. They'll must mix in. Very, very white.

Though you might be able to pick them out because of their accents. Very, very Southern.

Have fun!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

So if I see a white, Southern family walking around Nova Scotia, I should walk up to them and say, "Hey, DCup says hello"?

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should just tell them that Lisa says "hi."

He doesn't know me as DCup yet. On line at least. One look and well....

Have fun!

6:12 PM  
Blogger George said...

Have a great trip to the great whitey north!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home