Friday, June 06, 2008

BECAUSE I ABSOLUTELY, POSITUTELY, HAVE TO POST TWO DAYS IN A ROW

For that sense that things are . . . somehow ok, somehow "right" in the world.

(They're not, but appearances matter, so roll with it, ok?)

I don't have all that much to say, in fact, except that I have this lingering, dreadful feeling deep in the guts of my gut that the American people are gonna show their true colors (as it were) and send Obama to an historic and gruesome ass-beating in November.

I've said it before but I'm hardly a huge Obama fan: he's a helluva speaker, and he cuts an attractive, charming figure. Plus, to the degree it matters in terms of his ability to lead the country, I really dug his take on race & class in the two famous speeches -- let's call them "The Wright & Race Speech" and "The Bitterness Speech." Compelling stuff. But I'm not sure there's an awful lot of there there as an executive. Who knows?

Anyhow, to say I prefer him over McCain is as much of an understatement as saying "George Bush is an ass." I may even consider abandoning my usual third-party voting patterns and pull the Obamalever in November.

But, as the last 20 or so-odd years of my adulthood have proven, the American People & I don't see eye-to-eye on too many issues involving the economy, foreign policy, social legislation, the role of the federal government, constitutional interpretation, religion, or judicial power. Nor do we see eye-to-eye on culture, education, philosophy, or the importance of wearing an American flag lapel pin. More like eye-to-knee, and that's how it feels sometimes.

(The American People & I do see eye-to-eye, however, on botulism, Kim Jong Il, and French rock music, so all is not hopeless.)

Anyhow, even though I have no real basis to believe that Obama or any other mainstream Democrat has any intention or ability to improve the lives of the rank-and-file, at least he talks of somehow getting universal healthcare. He talks about the environment. He talks about ending the fucking war.

McCain? Who really knows, but since I missed the memo about him turning in his RNC card, we can assume he'll extend the war, flex his environmentalist muscles by planting trees on the White House lawn, and do his part to improve healthcare by explaining that one of those grapefruit knife/spoons works fine for removing cancerous tumors if you wash it well enough.

So who will the American People vote for? The same American People who've had 8 years to see their standard of living drop, their federal government intrude into their lives, and their sons and daughters die and get maimed in the desert?

I think deep down we know it ain't gonna be the Black guy with the name that rhymes with Osama.

Maybe I'm wrong, but deep down I don't think I am.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rickey said...

For the record, Rickey would point out that French rock music is nowhere near as loathsome as French rap music.

Don't think Obama can win, eh? Not to be overly dramatic, but this country really can't afford for you to be right about that... Rickey would like to think that after the past 8 years, people want change and can manage to overcome their prejudices. Or not get duped again by the GOP attack machine. Who knows. At the very least, this summer's political action should be worth watching.

9:41 AM  
Blogger George said...

I'm with Rickey on this one. I might be an idiot, but I want to be an optimistic, hopeful idiot.

And if that doesn't work Amy and I start learning a foreign language and begin to look at international real estate.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what the fuck do you have against botulism?

I also dread to learn just how much racist baggage we will collectively take into the voting booth in November. But I had doubts about his electability and voted for him in the primary and will of course do so in the fall (though where I live it will amount to naught.)

If there is a hopeful sign, my dentist, an especially genial conservative, was really taken by the race speech. Maybe the best to hope for is that Bush’s loyal 30% will just stay at home.

And believe it or not Bill Gates doesn’t recognize electability as a word. Have a good weekend.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Thanks a lot Mike. I had managed to shove my fear of America's dormant racism to the back of my mind and now it has been pulled forward.

I never thought I would see a DEMOCRATIC candidate stoop as low as Hillary Clinton did to grab white votes, but she did it and it somewhat worked. This is scary stuff.

It is good to hear though that Obama’s speech on race actually attracted votes. I am betting those who listened were probably inclined to vote for him anyway, but still that is good to hear.

My in-laws likely haven’t voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate ever, but they are voting for Obama. There is hope.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

this country really can't afford for you to be right about ... their prejudices

Well . . . that's sort of Exhibit A to my case though. If the hoi and even a few members of the polloi voted for their own interests once over the past 30 years we'd think of Reagan as a mediocre actor & Bush I & II as the transformation of pubic hair style from 70's "Natural" to the 90's "Landing Strip."

I might be an idiot, but I want to be an optimistic, hopeful idiot.

As I said in January, in this here blog, "We may still be a nation of idiots, but at least we're no longer racist idiots."

But . . . lest we get too excited too soon, may I remind you that vote didn't include any {whispering} Republicans.

my dentist . . . was really taken by the race speech

With that set of choppers, I think it's safe to say Obama wrapped up the dentist vote 9 months ago.

(That was too easy, wasn't it?)

Thanks a lot Mike. I had managed to shove my fear of America's dormant racism to the back of my mind and now it has been pulled forward.

Hey, we all have our roles.

7:22 PM  
Blogger DED said...

I share your concerns. We've got 5 months to "explore" what America wants.

Libertarian Party isn't looking so good as it used to this time round. Although he wants to get us out of Iraq, Bob Barr is a climate change denier and thinks we need to drill for more oil here at home. Though he said on CNN that he's willing to let states decide whether they want it within their boundaries or off their shore.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home