Saturday, July 05, 2008

MEMED ON THE FOURTH OF JULY

On this day after the passing of one of America's greatest most obnoxious statesmen, I will take part in the 4th of July meme devised by Toast.

1. Are you "proud to be an American"?
Not sure "proud" is the right word. I'm certainly glad my ancestors came here. I'm pleased to be associated with various aspects of the country's past & present. But pride is something I reserve for choices & accomplishments I made. Until I learn that as a fetus I petitioned the American government for the right to be born here, pride'll have to wait.

2.
Favorite Founding Father?
Interesting to ruminate (on this day after the passing of one of America's most obnoxious statesmen) on the passing of John Adams & Thomas Jefferson, our 2nd & 3rd Presidents and two of the architects of the Declaration of Independence. They each died on July 4th. July 4, 1826. 50 years to the day after the signing of said Declaration of Independence.

That said, my favorite Founding Father is the father: Big George. Six-foot-eight, weighs a fuckin' ton. George. Washington. The man who would be king . . . except he said "No thanks."

3.
Favorite president?
See question 2.

4.
Biggest "Patriotic Moment"?
Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I assume the question calls for an event in my lifetime, one I actually experienced, so that's gonna eliminate the defenses of Little Round Top & Bastogne.

I don't know that I really have one.

5.
Favorite patriotic song?
"America the Beautiful" is very nice. So is "Battle Hymn of the Republic." I don't know most of the lyrics to "Over There," but I love the melody, and the line "The Yanks Are Coming" is pretty cool.

But I'm going with "Battle Hymn" for this one. Just a beautiful song, and to think of a bunch of farm boys from various states singing this as they marched over blood-soaked ground at Antietam or Gettysburg is pretty stirring stuff.

6.
Favorite American cuisine?
I know French Fries are actually Belgian, so that doesn't really count. But man, choosing "freedom fries" and calling them "french fries" as my favorite American food would come as close as anything to defining who I am. Plus, I love em.

But alas, they ain't American.

(Then again, pizza isn't American either.)

But the hamburger -- named after a German city -- is, so I guess I'll go with that one. With a side of french fries of course.

7.
Happiest political moment of your life?
The GOP losing both chambers of Congress in the 2006 election. Couldn't give a shit that the Dems won, but the American people turning out the party that created the mess was a fine moment.

8.
Best fireworks display you've ever seen?
4th of July fireworks in NYC. Great every year.

9.
America's gift to the world?
Rock n' roll.

(Beating out baseball, jazz, hamburgers, and blue jeans as everyday fashion.)

10.
Favorite Bill of Rights right?
4th. Basically says, "stay the fuck outta my house."

11.
Favorite American Holiday?
Used to be Thanksgiving. Lately though I like Memorial Day cause it starts off the summer.

12.
Favorite D.C. monument?
Vietnam Memorial. Incredibly moving experience.

13.
Your dream for America's future?
That we start minding our own shop. We're not in very good shape and we need to stop worrying about the rest of the world and get our own shit together.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Toast said...

Big George. Six-foot-eight, weighs a fuckin' ton.

He'll save children, but not the British children.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

He'll save children, but not the British children.

And I suppose he'll eat fries, but not the French fries.

10:02 AM  
Blogger nightshift66 said...

Mike, your bio paragraph fits me to a T! I must disagree with your assessment of pizza, though. I've had something in Italy that the Italians claimed was pizza, but it was to pizza as dry meat on crust is to hamburger. The stuff we think of as pizza is definitely a US creation. IMO, of course.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

your bio paragraph fits me to a T

Is this your first time here???

Man, I must have made a HORRIBLE impression on you over at Toast's place.

The stuff we think of as pizza is definitely a US creation

Although, if I recall correctly, you're a Chicago pizza fan, aren't you? That's not quite "pizza" either, in my own (not so) humble opinion.

1:10 PM  
Blogger nightshift66 said...

Yeah, I think this is my first visit to your place. Not so much that you made a bad impression, but I do have time limits.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Not so much that you made a bad impression

Not so much! I love it.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicago pizza rocks. Deep dish, double cheese.

OH BABY!

Oh, and I've been working on my "Grover Cleveland was the last good President" bar spiel for a while now.

Applesaucer

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Chicago pizza rocks.

Fuckin Communist.

I've been working on my "Grover Cleveland was the last good President" bar spiel for a while now

I've seen you bust out crazier bar spiels than that. Might as well give it a whirl.

6:50 PM  
Blogger DED said...

Good answers.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Noah said...

I do love the Vietnam and Korean war memorials...each are moving and understated in their own way. But I loves me some Lincoln memorial...I get all weepy every time I read his 2nd inaugural address.

11:10 AM  
Blogger George said...

Applesaucer, is that Cleveland #22 or Cleveland #24?

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Korean war memorial

That's kinda scary, actually. Effective, but very stark.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home