Thursday, July 31, 2008

OFF TO THE EAST

So, I head to JFK in about 2 1/2 hours, to catch a flight to visit my in-laws.

In South Korea.

Yes, that's right. By early morning tomorrow (which be early evening at my destination) I'll be in Asia. Pretty cool, huh?

Briefly, both of Mrs. Mike's parents turn 70 this year, and in honor of that festive event, all five siblings (plus spouses & spawn) will join them to congregate in some small, provincial South Korean city, the name of which I don't recall, to celebrate. And if they celebrate in traditional Korean style, that should involve prodigious amounts of food & drink. Which is one reason I ain't complainin'.

(When your father-in-law insists that you drink with him, pretty hard for your wife to nag, ya see?)

And after a decade together, I've come to enjoy many aspects of Mrs. Mike's native culture, the food most of all. And like a lot of things in the world, kimchi and other staples are much better in their home country than elsewhere. I'm psyched.

Of course, I'll be more exhausted when I get back than I am right now after having worked long hours 6 straight days (weekend included). We're talking not only in-laws here, but in-laws some of whom don't speak English. And 14 hour flights to far-away time zones do little to set the mind & body at ease.

Whatever, it is what it is, and I'm gonna make the most of it. I'll report when I get back.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Agi said...

Yikes, that's a long flight. Have fun. Enjoy the soju.

11:08 AM  
Blogger George said...

Have a great trip! Do you speak Korean?

1:00 PM  
Blogger DED said...

Enjoy!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Enjoy Mike, and if it's no too much trouble, would you mind bringing the Mets back a bullpen pitcher?

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great visit. The jet lag doesn't set in until you get home.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Have a great time! That sounds very exciting.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Yes, the Jet lag does work both ways.

The best part is depending on where your connection is, on the way back, your flight may land before it left (thanks to the International Date line). A true time machine.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

that's a long flight

Yes.

Enjoy the soju

I did.

Do you speak Korean?

If you don't count all the words I know, most of which relate to food or the weather, no.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home