Thursday, March 01, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: THE U.N. SECURITY COUNCIL CONTAINS A NATION THAT VIOLATES HUMAN RIGHTS STANDARDS

According to A.P., the United Nations' Human Rights Chief has criticized the U.S.'s treatment of detainees under the so-called "Military Commissions Act," also known as the Death To Habeus Corpus Act. Louise Arbour, the human rights chief, has called upon the U.S. (through Congress and the Courts) to:
rise to its long-standing reputation as a guardian of fundamental human rights and civil liberties and provide the protection to all that are under the authority, control, and therefore in my view jurisdiction of the United States . . .
She continued:
I am very concerned that we continue to see detention without trial and with, in my opinion, insufficient judicial supervision. I thought there had been progress in that direction. There's been a legislative setback now recently in my view, a judicial decision [by a Federal Appeals Court, leaving detainees with] no credible mechanism to ascertain the validity of these [allegations]
Yep. It's come to this. The U.N. calls out a member nation for failing to meet internationally accepted levels of humane treatment. And that nation is ours. Jeez.

Now I'm the first to admit I never gave a rat's ass about what the UN said. Not because I feared my nation ceding control to the nefarious powers of godless internationalism(!), but because I found it hard to take seriously the "human rights" arguments of an organization counting Mainland China among its permanent Security Coucil members.

I guess China has a new friend in that veto-powered body.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger DED said...

I found it hard to take seriously the "human rights" arguments of an organization counting Mainland China among its permanent Security Coucil members.

Ditto.

1:27 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

"...I found it hard to take seriously the "human rights" arguments of an organization counting Mainland China among its permanent Security Coucil members."

...except when they Bush bash Mike?

Come on man. Don't hate. It ain't worth it. Here go watch this its great. A bit raunchy, and a bit strange, but its just about guaranteed to give you a smile, or (to quote Grady, heh) perhaps a bit more.

8^)>~~

3:26 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dwilk -

except when they Bush bash

Nope. I still don't take them seriously, whether Bush bashing or not. I just think it's really sad when the nation they criticize for human right violations is MY COUNTRY!

And as to that video, you're a dirty old man, aincha Mr. Dwilkers? But I'll say this, Christina was looking good in that one. She looks better all the time in fact.

4:20 PM  
Blogger DaveW said...

I just think it's really sad when the nation they criticize for human right violations is MY COUNTRY!

FWIW, I agree. I'd guess where we disagree is on the truth of whether there are really any human rights violations (I mean systemic - there are always abuses of one sort or another by individuals).

/shrug

I'm worn out on the subject of Bush. He...meh never mind.

Dirty old man? Bah. I am very appreciative of a well turned ankle that's for sure. Christina cleans up real nice - and I'm a sucker for a good set of pegs and pipes on a woman.

Plus I like her take on the genre. I'd love to see some of that come back in style, if only for a bit.

ps: FYI, since you switched, I've been having trouble getting the comments page to load properly. It doesn't always load the spam filter word thing. I had to switch to IE to post this. Not sure if its the site or on my end, but I've never had that problem before.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I've been having trouble getting the comments page to load properly. It doesn't always load the spam filter word thing. I had to switch to IE to post this.

Ahhhh! This is what I was bitching about earlier. I'm glad you're patient enough to roll with the BS. I hope Firefox gets through for you.

I am very appreciative of a well turned ankle that's for sure. Christina cleans up real nice - and I'm a sucker for a good set of pegs and pipes on a woman.

I think I may need a translation. I get the pipes (voice) and pegs (legs) references. But the turned ankle and cleaning up are throwing me.

12:03 AM  
Blogger DaveW said...

Well Turned Ankle

1. Shapely: a well-turned ankle. Adj. 1. well-turned - of a pleasing shape; "a well-turned ankle" shapely - having a well-proportioned and pleasing shape; "a slim waist and shapely legs"

I guess its sort of synonymous with pegs. =p

I admits it is a bit archaic and dates me a bit. You don't hear this in common use anymore I guess.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home