Monday, August 18, 2008

CELEBRATING SIX-FOOT WOMEN IN SPANDEX

Random Thoughts on the Olympics:

1. This Phelps guy can swim, huh?

2. Usain Bolt. When you spend literally the final quarter of the race styling & celebrating, yet still shatter your own world-record, you are officially really fast.

(I think it's safe to say that Mr. Bolt is unequivocally the fastest man in world history. He's the fastest human being ever. Think about that.)

3. Polish Women's Volleyball Team. Let's just say I wish they weren't eliminated yesterday. Couldn't give a shit if they win or not, but I'd have tuned in for their next match. Alas.

4. How many days til Phelps is completely over-exposed and I begin to hate that snaggle-toothed smile. I like him right now, but I suspect that we're about two Letterman appearances and one Wheaties box from Mary Lou territory with this guy.

5. I never think -- at any time over a given 4 year period -- "Gee, I'd love to watch some 4-man skulls right now." Nor do I hanker for trap shooting, nor women's team handball, nor mixed-doubles badminton. Not even synchronized diving or the hammer toss.

I'm funny that way; baseball suits me just fine.

But I've gotta tell you, I love that once every leap year I get to tune into MSNBC and watch me hours of really well-trained athletes compete at the highest level in these obscure sports. As someone who just gets off watching competition -- I'd probably tune in for mixed-doubles checkers if ESPN II covered it -- this shit is just too much fun.

And when approximately 27% of those sports seem to involve women in spandex, bikinis, or sports bras, well that only helps.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mrs. Saucey and I were digging the white water rafting the other night.

First time I'd seen it, but that didn't stop me from providing expert analysis five minutes in.

Applesaucer

p.s., you seen the Brazilian synchronized swimming twins? If not, google them...now.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

the Brazilian synchronized swimming twins?

Oh yeah. I went down that road days ago. I've done more semi-inapropriate googling (and totally inappropriate too) the past week or so than I've done in months.

white water rafting

I thought you were joking, but I see canoe/kayak is a real Olympic sport.

I'd have watched if I tuned in when it was on.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Loves me some women's beach volleyball suits, especially with that special camera angle right before they serve.

I hear you on the Phelps stuff. What pains me is that the media is all over him and his 8 medals, only 5 (only 5...listen to me...) of which were personal. At least Phelps gives props to his teammates on the 3 relay-based medals. If it were up to Costas, you'd think he won them by himself.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

What galls me is the perception, however implicitly it may be conveyed, that anything less than gold is somehow.... a failure. What a shame for the athletes, the audience, and everyone in general. It is an amazing achievement to even make it to the Olympics.

I have to be honest, and say I love watching some of the more offbeat events; I wish that more of them would be shown in prime time. I love the rowing events, and the gymnastic events, and curling... is that a summer or winter Olympic sport? LOL I remember the first time I saw curling, I was oddly and strangely fascinated by it.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Just googled "the Brazilian synchronized swimming twins"

Holy Christ, shut off the "safe search"

9:53 PM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Women's beach volleyball? Bah, Rickey's all about the women's discus toss. Now those are real femmes...

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home