CELEBRATING SIX-FOOT WOMEN IN SPANDEX
1. This Phelps guy can swim, huh?
2. Usain Bolt. When you spend literally the final quarter of the race styling & celebrating, yet still shatter your own world-record, you are officially really fast.
(I think it's safe to say that Mr. Bolt is unequivocally the fastest man in world history. He's the fastest human being ever. Think about that.)
3. Polish Women's Volleyball Team. Let's just say I wish they weren't eliminated yesterday. Couldn't give a shit if they win or not, but I'd have tuned in for their next match. Alas.
4. How many days til Phelps is completely over-exposed and I begin to hate that snaggle-toothed smile. I like him right now, but I suspect that we're about two Letterman appearances and one Wheaties box from Mary Lou territory with this guy.
5. I never think -- at any time over a given 4 year period -- "Gee, I'd love to watch some 4-man skulls right now." Nor do I hanker for trap shooting, nor women's team handball, nor mixed-doubles badminton. Not even synchronized diving or the hammer toss.
I'm funny that way; baseball suits me just fine.
But I've gotta tell you, I love that once every leap year I get to tune into MSNBC and watch me hours of really well-trained athletes compete at the highest level in these obscure sports. As someone who just gets off watching competition -- I'd probably tune in for mixed-doubles checkers if ESPN II covered it -- this shit is just too much fun.
And when approximately 27% of those sports seem to involve women in spandex, bikinis, or sports bras, well that only helps.