Friday, August 08, 2008

I ATE, I DRANK, I SLEPT ON THE FLOOR

Actually, I "only" slept on the floor two nights, even though I ate just about every meal sitting on the floor. I also did a fourth thing: spent about 36 hours total on planes, waiting for planes, or driving to planes.

But otherwise, the title of this post about sums it all up. And since the net positive value of eating and drinking like a glutton all week outweighs the destruction of my back, my ass, and my legs from all that floor activity . . . well, the trip was good.

On other fronts, I was pleased to discover that while I'm no closer to fluency (or proficiency, or even basic competence) in Korean, I understood a lot more words than my last trip (6 years ago). So even if I couldn't really "understand" what everyone was saying I could following the basic gist of a lot of conversations.

Small victories, you know?

Meanwhile, most of my brothers- and sisters-in-law speak English well enough, and all the nephews and nieces speak it quite well. And, as you can guess, stuffing your face is universal in any language, so all-in-all . . .

Anyhow, I now have 2 1/2 days to recover before returning to work for what should be a very busy late summer and fall. Meanwhile, my body "thinks" it's midnight right now, so pardon me while I fight the urge to go to sleep.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

So...what's the real story on kinchee? Did you eat the real stuff? Because something tells me that even "authentic" stuff over here in the States is tamed somewhat.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Oops...mean kiMchee...hit the wrong key...

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

There are actually many varieties of kimchi -- both in terms of the main ingredient (cabbage, etc) and the regional varieties.

What's "tamed" in the US isn't so much the heat, but the variety of the secondary ingredients: fish oil, veggies other than cabbage, oysters/dried shrimp/other seafood, etc.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

11:57 AM  
Blogger George said...

Welcome back. Did you sleep on the floor because you drank?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

No. Many Koreans (like many Asians in general) sleep on the floor.

1:34 PM  
Blogger DED said...

Welcome back!

What do you think of the Jets' new QB?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

What do you think of the Jets' new QB?

I don't like it.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home