Wednesday, August 16, 2006

YOUR FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

Straight from the "I'm Not Even Sure What To Make Of This" Files, we learn from Reuters that "Troy Lee Gentry, half of the country music duo Montgomery Gentry," was arraigned this week in federal court for "conspiracy to falsely label an animal."

I have no idea. (Trust me, they don't cover that one in Law School.)

Oh, and no. I don't know who Troy Lee Gentry is either.

Seems the "country star" paid to enter a game reserve of some sort in Minnesota, where he proceeded to kill a bear before "making it look as if it was a hunting trophy." I won't argue that he sounds like an idiot, nor do I understand why he (a) shot the poor bear and (b) tried to pawn it off as a wild animal he bagged in the bush. Whatever.

But what I'm really scratching my head about is why this is a federal crime carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $20,000 fine. You'll just have to read the article.

And it still won't make any sense.

3 Comments:

Blogger Weaseldog said...

Bears are protected and you have to buy a permit to shoot them.

He probably didn't buy a permit and put a different game tag on it. Perhaps he thought it was an elk?

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how it is in Minnesota, but in Wisconsin it is a five year wait to get a permit to hunt bear.

You do not want ot mess with the Fish and Wildlife wardens. They will confiscate your weapon, your vehicle and do not need warrants to come in your house if they feel you have poached an animal.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy a permit
Fish and Wildlife wardens

I'm sure you're both right, and I still think this "country star" is an idiot for shooting the bear.

But my question remains, Do we want the federal government doing this? Isn't this an ideal task for state governments, especially in that they can reflect the will of local citizens, in terms of how they choose to deal with bears, hunting, etc?

Isn't this just another example of why the federal government is so bloated, inefficient, and often incompetent?

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home