Wednesday, November 28, 2007

RIDICULOUSLY BRIEF UPDATE ON MY LIFE AND THAT SORT OF THING

No time for a long-winded explanation (see yesterday's post for something resembling that), but I'll just say that I finally had a vacation, and it's pretty much over . . . as of now. I'm heading to the airport for work-related travel in about 28 minutes. And I haven't even started getting ready.

(Translation: I will probably be late.)

No time or inclination to go into detail of the "vacation," but I will say that we spent the time off in town, dealing with lots of the "stuff" that I haven't been able to turn to over the past few months while I was so swamped with work. Work remains good believe it or not, but as should be obvious to any of my remaining readers, it keeps me very busy.

Anyhow, the time off allowed me to break up the routine if nothing else, and believe it or not, the complete collapse of my computering ability due to The Fucking Virus™ permitted me to rediscover the joys of reading, listening to tunes, and drinking beer.

(Ok, I do those things anyway, but time off from work and no PC left me more time.)

Briefly, and then I've got a plane to catch, a short list of what I've been digging:

Beer: Rogue Chocolate Stout (or something that sounds like that) -- wow.

Books: I re-read Steinbeck's East of Eden for maybe the third or fourth time. Still great. One of those books that can, and will, mean something different every time you return to it. Hopefully I'll have more time to address this later on. Probably not though.

Music: Belle & Sebastian, especially their two earliest albums, Tigermilk and If You're Feeling Sinister. I'm addicted.

Lot's more to say, but no time to sa--

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger George said...

Now I feel like I have to read the Steinbeck. I saw the movie with James Dean--does that count? (I know, it's only a tiny fraction of the novel.)

1:43 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Rogue's chocolate stout is amazing. Simply amazing.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Agi said...

Rogue offers some mean brews. I'm a big fan of their Dead Guy Ale.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I saw the movie with James Dean--does that count?

No.

Hard to believe the movie is even based on the novel.

Rogue's chocolate stout is amazing

May well be, but the brew I was talking about is Rogue Imperial Stout, in this crock sort of "bottle." Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Rogue offers some mean brews. I'm a big fan of their Dead Guy Ale.

I'm usually not a huge fan of Rogue. A little too much of that hops-for-hops-sake quality. Dead Guy certainly fits that bill. But that Imperial Stout is unreal.

9:34 AM  
Blogger DED said...

Haven't read Steinbeck since "Of Mice and Men" in high school. It's not that I didn't like it. It's just that I'm more into sci-fi and horror.

I'll keep an eye out for that Rogue. Their Mocha Porter and Juniper Pale Ale are good. You might want to check them out.

Have a good trip!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Noah said...

Oh ,their Imperial Stout? Ummm, yeah. It's my second favorite only to Stone's Imperial Stout.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I had a Rogue Chocolate Stout last night. Damn good.

But not in the same league as the Imperial Stout.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Welcome back Mike. Rogue chocolate stout sounds pretty damned good to Rickey.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Steinbeck say in "Travels with Charlie" that he did not like to drink alone unless he happened to be by himself?

In the remote past when I used to read, I read Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row and Tortilla Flats, but think I missed East of Eden.

I am always interested in a beer that goes well with vodka.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I really hate vodka. Just can't drink it.

One too many bad experiences in my younger days, I guess.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try tequila and amphetamines. That was a pretty popular cocktail when I was in college.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home