Wednesday, January 30, 2008

JANUARY 29 -- A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN FAMY

Happy days, happy days in the Neighborhood. Very good news indeed.

What's this, you ask? Well, if you're asking you don't know me too well, because two things happened last night that brought a smile to my face, a spring to my step, a schwing to my . . .

Well, you get the idea. So what was it, those among you who don't quite know are asking?

1. Down goes Rudy! Down goes Rudy! Down goes Rudy!

(aka, Ding Dong, the Fascist's dead.)

Heh, heh.

2. And, on the non-schadenfreudist side of the ledger, Johan Santana is coming to The Mets for a bag of beans, a 1997 Ford Taurus, $250,000 in depreciating US currency, and Sid Fernandez' second cousin.

Johan motherfuckin' Santana!!!

Ohhhhhh, the joy. Ohhhh, the possibilities that life can toss atcha' when you least expect it. In the course of a few hours, one of the two men I despise the most drops from the American political landscape. In a bloody, ignominious heap. It ain't Giuliani Time now, baby.

And, far more importantly, the Mets effectively replace 173 year-old Tom Glavine with none other than The Best Pitcher In The Gameā„¢. For prospects!

Even if Rudy's exit doesn't quite guarantee the victory I want next November, perhaps this trade will at least give me the parade down the Canyon of Heroes I've been waiting 22 years for.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Toast said...

This might go down as one of the worst moves in baseball history. Minnesota leaves two clearly superior offers from the Yanks and Sox on the table because they were greedy and thought they could play those two rivals off of each other. Then both clubs say "On second thought, there's our young arms to think about..." and the Twins are forced to settle for "a bag of beans, a 1997 Ford Taurus, $250,000 in depreciating US currency, and Sid Fernandez' second cousin."

Idiots.

Congratulations to the Mets, though. That's a hell of a jolt to your rotation.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

I heard that Rudy's response to the results in Florida was "9/11."

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fine post needs an appropriate soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leADGZZ9eaY&feature=related

9:03 AM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

Twas a nice day wasn't it?

Of course, Rudy hasn't been relevent in months.

As for Johan, I posted my thoughts.

And Metsgeek is alive and well. Lots of fun.

11:35 AM  
Blogger DED said...

Down goes Rudy!

Hooray!

3:05 PM  
Blogger steves said...

There was talk a while back about Bloomberg running. Has anyone heard anything on that since then? Granted, I don't live there, but he is almost unappealing as Rudy.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Rudy backed out of a campaign that never got off the ground in the first place. I have no idea who his political strategist was, but it was a strategy thatamde no sense at all. Sort of like a lot of Rudy's speeches.

9:27 AM  
Blogger DED said...

There was talk a while back about Bloomberg running. Has anyone heard anything on that since then?

I recall one of the talking heads on TV saying recently that Bloomberg likes McCain. If McCain get the nomination, he (Bloomberg) won't run. But that's far from an official word.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Mike, I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the eulogy of sorts which I gave Rudy today. Unfortunately, it took all of 30 seconds before one of his supporters went ballistic in my comments section. Oh well.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

enjoy the eulogy . . .I gave Rudy today

In theory, I suppose. Me, I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

But I'll have to check out your post, and the ballistic response.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Agi said...

I don't pick a side in MLB so here's hoping your Mets have a great season next year.

I bet the Yankees won't even let Rudy back in after his supportive comments towards the Red Sox last year. Pandering has its price.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home