OF A MIXED MIND
And, as you can guess from the title of this here blog post, I'm ambivalent. Let's break it down:
1. I like the fact that the non-front runner (i.e., someone other than the MSM's anointed "the guy to beat") won.
2. I'm scared shitless that there are so many
Hey, Stu Schmadlack and I both think Chuck Berry is the underrated link in the history of rock 'n roll. I'm gonna vote for him as President of the United States! But wait, isn't Dave Doohickey also a Met fan. Maybe he's my guy . . .
3. I like the fact that a Huckabee win would throw the national GOP into total disarray. Maybe northeastern social liberal/fiscal conservatives would come to realize that 99.96% of national Republicans have nothing in common with them.
4. I'm scared shitless of yet another evangelical running our nation (into the ground).
5. I like seeing Rudy Giuliani lose.
6. Have I made it clear that I'm scared shitless of 4 more years of Jesus Camp in the White House?
As to the Dems, I think Obama is nothing more than a handsome guy with a great speaking voice, but hey, it worked for Jack Kennedy, so why not do it again? Better than Huckabee, right?
And, to avoid snark for 2 seconds, the fact that we've reached a point in our history where a Black man with a name that sounds like a point guard for the University of Illinois (as opposed to Illinois' Senator) can win the support of the people of IOWA (!) is something I really like. We may still be a nation of idiots, but at least we're no longer racist idiots.
Progress baby. It comes in many forms.