Friday, August 22, 2008

MMMMM, CROW

I often post to show the world (or maybe it's just my 6 regular readers) how correct I was with past predictions. That's the way I roll, man.

But once in a while, I sense the eyes of humanity staring deep into the core of my soul, and I'll feel that need to let on that sometimes I might have misfired. Might have. Let's see what we've got here. On June 24 of this very year, I declared the following to be an indisputable fact:
Carlos Delgado CANNOT be the starting first baseman for a major league team trying to play in October. He's 36 years-old (or at least he will be tomorrow). He's slow. He's an awful fielder. And . . . most importantly, since he plays first base, He Can't Hit!

His numbers through 75 games played are 234/307/405. Last season he hit 258/333/448. That's 1 1/2 seasons of sub-800 OPSing by a first baseman. A first baseman who can't run, nor can he field.

This has to stop. Play Easley against lefties, play Nixon at first against righties, play Nick Evans. But stop trundling this fucking corpse out there day-after-day. Enough.
"Trundling"! "Fucking corpse"! "Trot Nixon"! Them's some strong words there. Now you probably think I'm going to use this self-fisking post to offer contrition, admit how wrong I was, and conclude once and for all that my baseball analysis is for shit.

If you think so, then you, my friends, don't know your host very well at all.

Instead, I'll offer up the only explanation possible: SeƱor Delgado is a reader of Mike's Neighborhood. And how do I know this? Because in his second game after I wrote this damning screed -- after a half season of extraordinarily sucky-ass suckitude -- Big Carlos unloaded the famous 2 homer, 1 double, 9 RBI spectacular on the unsuspecting baseball world. Then he followed with his excellent July and after starting to scuttle again, he gave us last night's 5-for-5 performance, complete with seeing-eye grounders, atrocious Brave fielding miscues, and all that sort of thing. The man is back.

He clearly read my June 24 post & rose to the challenge. There. Is. No. Other. Explanation.

I accept all thanks for saving the Mets season. And I accept checks for large sums of money in lieu of thanks if you're not into that sort of thing.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"self-fisking"

That's really more information about your solitary nocturnal habits than I need to know.

Applesaucer

6:55 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

"Nocturnal" my ass.

I fisk only in daylight.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Toast said...

The amazing thing is that I picked him up in both my fantasy leagues when he started his little hot streak and... he stayed hot.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Well, as they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

You realize that this post could be cause for a battle-of-baseball-wit between you and Rickey Henderson. Maybe he won't notice.

Excellent spin on why what you said about Carlos wasn't wrong. It was inspirational!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

To borrow a word from my sabermetrician buddies, Carlos has just been hitting in "luck" *snicker."

Of course, unfortunately for ME, this is one time where I happen to agree with them.

Based upon the overall performance we've gotten from the Old Carlos and the New Carlos... I still wouldn't have him back next year at first base, unless there were no other reasonable options.

That's how much I DON'T trust him at this point.

IMO, it's time to move on after this year, barring an MVP-like push him. And maybe not even then. He is, after all, playing for his very baseball life this year. If that don't inspire ya as a player, then I don't know what will.

11:44 AM  
Blogger George said...

Have to agree with Deb on this one.

And I'm very proud of you for admitting you were wrong. For the Mets' sake, lets hope you remain that way.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

No doubt Delgado needs to be on his way next year.

No doubt!

Mike Carp looks ready enough:

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2341

Probably won't set the world on fire with the stick next year, and he looks like a butcher in the field, but he'll obviously be much cheaper than Carlos and it's time to groom a young guy for the role.

Nick Evans plays some first base too, and looks like he's probably a smoother fielder.

9:22 AM  
Blogger fridge said...

Mike, if you got an email asking to sign up for a fantasy league, please do so ASAP. if not, shoot me an email at erikjblair@gmail.com

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home