Friday, August 29, 2008

OBAMA PUNCHES MCCAIN IN THE FACE, LEAVES AN UNSIGHTLY BUMP ON HIS LEFT JAW

I'm not gonna go into all sorts of details about last night's speech, since there's no shortage of triage on that all over the web. But . . . a few brief thoughts.

Overall, I thought Obama did an excellent job. He came across as very tough, very committed, very leader-like. He was quite grounded in the realities of what's going on, and he was very careful to point out, to the Republicans ostensibly, that he knows the criticisms, he knows the accusations against him.

"I get it," I believe he said.

He took numerous opportunities to hit McCain, and I think he landed a number of blows. More importantly, in going on the offensive he managed to contrast himself with his apparently doddering, dangerously out-of-touch opponent. In other words, the message was "McCain doesn't get it. But I do."

I loved it when he all-but challenged McCain on the foreign policy side of things, daring him to engage him in a comparison of their temperments, their abilities to be Commander-in-Chief. He didn't say "Bring It On," but he might as well have.

All-in-all, it wasn't so much the substance of what he said that impressed me, nor was it the extent of his (significant) rhetorical skill. No, it was more than that. What got me was the very un-Mondale, un-Dukakis, un-Gore, un-Kerry attitude of "You wanna be President, Mr. Republican? Well so do I. Let's rumble, bitch."

He may not win, he may not be any good if he does so. Hell, he may be a complete disaster, I don't know. But for the first time since the fall of 1992, when another center-leaning Dem I wasn't too crazy about faced off against another out-of-touch prick I couldn't stand, I feel that at least we may be in good hands if the donkey kicks the elephant's ass.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Toast said...

Well well. A surprisingly positive review. Cool.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey man, I call it as I see it.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Heckuva speech.

Kerry was by no means a great candidate, but he did deliver a damned rousing speech at the DNC in 2004 with that "see that flag?" line of his.

Obama's was a bit less blunt, but it definitely hit all the right notes: a sweeping overview of what the party should be all about, and a complete repudiation of everything the GOP believes in. Rickey enjoyed it heartily.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Well, it's time for them to own their failure."

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazingly McCain has chosen the governor of Alaska, Gidgett, as his running mate.

This certainly looks like a fatal political gaff considering Snoop Dogg was still available.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

"...What got me was the very un-Mondale, un-Dukakis, un-Gore, un-Kerry attitude of 'You wanna be President, Mr. Republican? Well so do I. Let's rumble, bitch.'"

Amen. If anything has the Republicans concerned, it's not any policy position, or other factor, its that Obama isn't a wimp.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home